Ready to take the leap...need a push

jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
edited February 2008 in Selecting a Business
Alright, I`ve had an idea for a business for over 15 years now. It is actually the perfect business for me. I have seen others start this same type of business across the country and I have read about their successes. This business model actually made the Top 100 here on SUN. Here`s my problem, I can quote my business plan from memory, I can tell you everything you would need to know to start this business, I am in the absolute perfect location to start this, I have no competition, I have contacts, etc. etc. etc. HOWEVER, for some reason I cannot seem to take that leap of faith and actually do it. I need to hear from the greats here at SUN as to how you actually made that final decision to just do it no matter what. I want to hear about your successes. I need motivation!

Comments

• siansimonsiansimon subscriber Posts: 1
    It sounds to me like you have everything going for you. The only thing I can think is that you may have a fear of rejection or failure? I`m not trying to be an amateur psychologist here, but that seems to be a problem for many people in getting started.
    I started my business (solo practitioner) 11 years ago. At the time I didn`t really think about it. An opportunity came up so I just took it. I have had ups and downs over the years, but I cannot imagine no longer being in charge of my own destiny. I trust my livelihood to myself (with all my shortcomings) rather than a nameless bureacrat in an ivory tower in some corporate HQ.
    Rejection is not failure. It is just being in the wrong place at the wrong time, but every rejection is a potential future opportunity, if handled well. And I like this quote from Albert Grey: "Successful people make a habit of doing what failures refuse to do".
    If the business is perfect for you, you have your business plan, and you have the environment for it, I personally cannot see how you can fail. You will be having too much fun to fail.
    Does this help?
  • jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    Thanks for the replies. Here`s the deal. This business can be started from home, it can possibly be ran part time (I still work and finacially I can`t just quit right now), but i know in my heart of hearts that it will take off and when it does I need to be prepared to jump in with both feet. I guess this is a good problem to have. I think it may be the transition from dream to reality that will take me from a steady paycheck to a business where everything is dependant on me. Once I get started there is no turning back. I can`t just quit. Oh and did i mention I have 3 children, a wife, and 2 dogs that rely on me to pay the bills? However, I have spent years dreaming, planning, and talking about this and all I want is to do it and succeed. Maybe i should give up the dream and just concentrate on the mundane...
    I don`t think she realizes what drastic changes could come, although I`ve tried to explain it to her. Otherwise she is all for whatever I decide to do.
    Thanks Stan I appreciate that encouragement. I have set some milestones and goals for myself and am forcing myself to do them one at a time. This will keep me moving forward and hopefully squash my defeatist attitude. Ever have the feeling that you don`t deserve success? It`s weird. I have this feeling sometimes and it pushes me back. So I will keep reading the encouragement here at SUN and move on to success!
    Well Craig I`m 39 years old so the "modern" education system does not apply. My children however are facing this. So anyway, how does one shift the paradigm from belief to conviction? I do believe in myself whether it`s just a statement or not. What I want to know is how do I get this demosntrable evidence you call conviction that will finally push me over the edge?
  • spungeyspungey subscriber Posts: 2
    I must support Craig`s statement.   (Also Nike`s slogan, sort  of)  Just do something.
    I was stuck for nearly a decade trying to figure out "the thing" that would be best for me.  Then I started doing little things that have nothing at all to do with business or even hobbies, but were obvious, beneficial, and fun.  Next thing I knew, I was here with an idea.   Nothing succeeds like personal success.  I suspect our subconscious cares not whether it`s a tiny success or a huge success, just so long as we do something and finish it.
    Heard a great line a couple of weeks ago:  If something is worth doing, it`s worth doing wrong, at least at first.  Seems to be true.
  • JembaJemba subscriber Posts: 2
    Spungey,
    What were the "little things" that were "obvious, beneficial and fun" even though they had nothing to do with business or hobbies. Can you remember any of them?

Thanks.
    Wow marlosse, I love your idea, what a concept! Thanks for advice and you`re right, depression could be the cause. I need to do some reflecting. Thanks to all of you for your inspiration and advice.