WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Other Payment Options at the Start(Motivation)

nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
edited February 2007 in Grab Bag
Hi, I`m starting a game development business straight from school. The only drawback of being a college student is the lack of funds at the start. I have the luxury of having  classmates that are excited to work with me despite me not being able to pay them. They are aware that working with me could lead to things like royalties from future sales of the game, equity in the business and a guaranteed job offer once the business is on its feet and profitable. There are two small issues though, although they are hungry (they really want to make games) many are at the point where they are about to graduate (i myself am out due to financial reasons) and have little time to help. Some are looking for or have actual jobs but still want to contribute to my start up. Some talk passionately but in practice don`t do much.My question is: How do i motivate this ready and willing group when there`s no money yet? What other methods have you all used at start up.

Comments

• Options
    CSPURGEONCSPURGEON subscriber Posts: 10
    Great idea about the meetings! But one concern that I would have is to have an agenda. If there isnt an agenda or a time line, you might run into it being a beer drinking and talking session rather than a productive one. But either way its a great way to tap such a lucrative FREE environment,
  • Options
    Good points guys. I was pretty much spot on with the meetings and keeping team members informed. The interest was definitely there. My main problem was what you pointed to which was productivity. I had a design document and a  production schedule, but I was not able to manipulate the technology of the game engine to the needs of my game. As the leader of the team it was my fault. I ramped up a team way to soon and there simply was nothing for them to do. Most of my original team members were passionate enough to show up to all of my scheduled meetings though.  
  • Options
    Very true craig. I think that the biggest part of my issue was that I got a team together to do basically nothing, because I did not need them yet. When I tell any college aged person that I`m creating games, they`re usually really eager to help. But when there`s nothing for them to do, it`s really easy for them and myself to fall to the wayside and get off topic.I do like your idea craig. 1 dollar may not be enough but if it`s something it will help me and the rest of my team feel motivated to finish. I`m just now getting to the point where I feel that I can lead people again. My last 2 projects flopped and i felt like it was my fault. I`ve taken the better part of a year to create a game myself. It helped me realize what I can do, and more importantly what I`ll need to get help with. To answer the question yes: I can make something small which would have a small turnaround time. Basically it would give my team and I confidence that we can create, market and sell finished products. Luckily this plays right into my concept for short form games. The product requires less time to play for the consumer and less time for my team and I to make.