Blog Ettitquette

nothinglikeitnothinglikeit Posts: 27subscriber
edited June 2007 in Marketing
This topic has been covered elsewhere. I wanted to hear your feedback on what you folks think is proper blog etiquette.I have 2 main blogs that I`m using now. One is strictly for business and promotion and the other is more personal. I use it when I have introspective thoughts. Neither contains views that are blatantly offensive. But after a run in with a personal blog on my job last year. (I wrote it, and they used it against me later in a review) I was wondering should you even bother having a personal blog at all?I don`t link either and I won`t even mention my personal one here. But what if a potential client finds it anyway? (like my co workers did)I also see that business blogs are becoming a great marketing tool. Would it make sense to create one blog that is more for marketing. And another for business operations (kind of like a tracking tool)

Comments

• nothinglikeitnothinglikeit Posts: 27subscriber
    Steve and RDG:When I talked about doing a blog for operational purposes I was thinking of using it as a tracking mechanism for the business plan itself. Since my plan should be a biological document, I want to keep it in my face all the time. So when I actaully try to execute my plan, I can compare my efforts on a given day to what I wrote in my business plan`s strategy or marketing section.For example: If I write: I should visit 3 trade shows in April and gain 3 new contacts: I can write out what the results were in a blog titled. Marketing results for April. It would contain lots of notes and I`d then compare my notes to my plan and evaluate how accurate my predictions were. I could then review the plan and change what`s not working and keep what is. Of course this blog would probably be set to private so that noone outside the company can see it. I guess it would be similar to doing a report for the business.
  • nothinglikeitnothinglikeit Posts: 27subscriber
    ha ha it`s funny you say that craig. I found an interesting podcast that talked about your army of forum posters. I always wondered how you were so omnipresent here on the boards. but seriously though you have a point. my boss proved that sad fact when he found a blog about me, discussed it with the entire office and had the nerve to bring it up again in my review AND again when I threatened to quit. (I could have fired you for writing that blog he said) So I`ve accepted that fact. For me I don`t really care one way or the other if the world reads my personal throughts. The things I decide to include there are usually tame. They do help me vent though. I guess it`s just easier than writing on paper. Ironic I know. Guess that`s a sign of the time. I like Nicole`s white board idea. I`ve been playing with the idea of getting one. I  like it because it`ll help keep the goals in front of me.
  • kkrafts58kkrafts58 Posts: 12subscriber
    I go with the notebook and pens. I mentioned in another post, (can`t remember which) about trying a blog on my website and after 2 days people were using my website name to send spam. I had over 150 undeliverable emails in my inbox, not good. they would use names like [email protected]</A>  and send spam and then I`d get the cannot be delivered letters. I got rid of my blog and the emails quit.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 2subscriber
    If you want to do a blog, fine. But to make sure to never offend anyone, never say anything unusual, never say anything controversial? What`s the point of that? Why not just publish your day-planner? [/QUOTE]
    Your comments are always worth a read, Craig.  You`re witty, philosophical, & have a lot of common sense.  We can all profit from reading your posts! 
    Cookie 
    www.wedgie.biz</A>

I`ve been going through the same thing, KKrafts58, with the undeliverable spam.  But I don`t have a blog.  The spammers must have gotten my email address from my website.  My hosting company said there was nothing they could do about it & usually the spammers move on to someone else after a short time.  The first day it happened, I logged on to 800+ returned, blocked emails.  They were A LOT of fun to sit & delete....
    Anyone out there coming up with a way to stop this hijacking of email addresses?
    Cookie
    www.wedgie.biz
  • jarziumjarzium Posts: 0subscriber
    its hard to be politically correct nowadays. i like being controversial, it
    adds a little spice to your blog.

but just like what eallen said, you got to be prepare to defend your point.
    We have women here in Chicago who take lit classes with a very learned man by the name of Marvin Mirsky.  We refer to ourselves as Mirsky`s Maidens.  If Craig does have a cult, I`m not part of it, even though I very much like to read what he writes.  Shall we pretend Craig DOES have a cult & give it a name?
    And hey, Tiger Taco, remember how I got jumped on when I mentioned that I include a note when I drop ship?  Or that I didn`t like the QVC product winner?  I don`t want to generate bad PR for my product so it may make me more cautious in speaking my mind.  On the other hand, I hate the pollyanna attitude where posters try to act all nicey-nice in hopes folks will buy their product/service.  OK, here`s the cautious me, maybe everyone out there really is very, very nice....  How`s that for avoiding controversy!
  • JeannieJeannie Posts: 8subscriber

I`ve been going through the same thing, KKrafts58, with the undeliverable spam.  But I don`t have a blog.  The spammers must have gotten my email address from my website.  My hosting company said there was nothing they could do about it & usually the spammers move on to someone else after a short time.  The first day it happened, I logged on to 800+ returned, blocked emails.  They were A LOT of fun to sit & delete....
    Anyone out there coming up with a way to stop this hijacking of email addresses?

Hi Cookie,
    I`ve seen other sites make the email address harder for spammers. 
    For instance.. they would spell the signs for ;and dot or they would add spaces.
    example:  info at SmudgeGuard dot com. (spelling out the signs)
                    info @ SmudgeGuard . com   (with added spaces)
                   infoAT NOSPAMsmudgeguard dot com (adding the word NOSPAM and spelling out the signs)
    Hope this helps with your spamming problem.
    Jeannie

Thanks for tips, Jeannie, but as I was told, the spammers did indeed move on so I don`t plan to make any changes.  May help others just coming up with their email addresses though. 
    I still edit, Tiger Taco, but I agree, it`s good to be able to say something w/o fearing repercussions.   Now someone will probably jump in & say, "But not if it`s mean, harsh...."  It`s all so subjective.
    New Individualism IS kinda catchy, Craig.  Go with it!
  • kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella Posts: 0subscriber

I think putting a personal blog online is mostly just ego. Who cares
    what anyone thinks about anything, or what emotional upheavals take
    place?Oh Craig, you`re always such a love, generous and kind but I`d disagree with you on this one. I`m curious about some people. I always encourage my designers to have blogs. It puts a face to them, customers like the personal connection. Of course, that`s assuming it`s done well . There`s tons of bad examples of course.