WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Finding my marketing position

nothinglikeitnothinglikeit subscriber Posts: 27
edited January 2007 in Marketing
Hello I`m a first time poster and new member to the community so please be kind. J/K. I also must apologize if this is the wrong place for this posting.

I`ve been reading lots of books as I plan my business. One of the books that I am currently reading is called Guerilla Marketing in 30 Days. Day 5 talked about choosing a marketing position. To me this meant choosing what  my company is all about or what my niche is.
I`m having a hard time narrowing it down because I plan to produce Comptuer Games. I also plan to write about other games online (basically its a web publication driven by ad revenue). I also plan on producing websites and designing graphics for other small businesses. My main question though is what type of position is this? Am I making this too broad? Should I approach the marketing problem differenttly depnding on which industry each of my products or services belong to? I`m sorry if these are too many questions but I appreciate any help you can offer.

Comments

• Options
    pmccordpmccord subscriber Posts: 1
    nothinglikeit;

A website that tries to do too many things runs the risk of not doing any of them. That doesn`t mean you can`t do multiple things as a company, but that you might need to segment.

From what you described above, it sounds like your business could be split into two websites--one for the games you create and the game review publication, and another for the website design for small businesses. Of course, you could choose to create a third just for the publication if it needs to stand alone also.

This may sound like double the work, but it eliminates some real issues you`d have with a single site.

With a single site what are you going to promote as your primary product/service? If it is games, then the small business owner may look at your front page and say goodby--I want a serious site designer.

If your primary product/service is web design, your gaming visitors may do the same, wanting a serious game site.

With two sites you can do both all under one roof--you`re simply splitting your company "divisions" so you can address the issues of each of your markets without confusion.
  • Options
    Thanks for your repsonses guys. I actually wanted to set them up as completely seperate companies originally. Someone told me in a small business workshop that that was a bad move for a first time business owner such as myself. I saw thier point and have since tried to do  a better job of breaking up everything that I offer. I have toyed with the idea of different websites. Would have to register assumed names for the phases of the business divisions?
  • Options
    pmccordpmccord subscriber Posts: 1
    nothinglikeit,
    You don`t need to register different assumed names if you`re doing business under the same name.  You simply have different websites for different product catagories.
    I`m not sure why you were given the advice to have only one site for multiple and very different products.  It is much easier to set up a site that has only one focus than it is to try to attract and maintain the attention of very different groups of visitors.
  • Options
    yeah that`s what I thought. I tried to make a site that was all encompassing. Ultimately I had to take it down because I wasn`t happy with it. You live and you learn. I guess the next question is how to write a business plan for such an idea. So far I`ve listed all of my different services as "products" Each product has a seperate business model and marketing strategies and customers as you alluded to. Is this a good way to write it or should I try something else?
  • Options
    InactiveMemberInactiveMember subscriber Posts: 12
    If you`re interested in market position, branding, etc.
    1. 22 Immutable Laws of Branding, Al & Laura Ries
    2. Positioning: The Battle For Your Mind, Al Ries & Jack Trout
    3. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Porter</A>
  • Options
    Thanks again for the responses guys. I spoke with a cousnelor at my local Small Business Development Center and the confusion about the different services we offer was one of the first things she touched upon.