WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Why is it so hard to sell JUST ONE BAG A DAY????

2»

Comments

• Options
    kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    Hey Ann! Glad to see another veggie. However, I do use leather products . I`m a vegetarian for sustainability reasons (doesn`t really matter how we get there imo).
    Nicole: I`m pleased to see you`re actively implementing suggestions. For example, I notice that perhaps (?) based on my comments from page one, you`ve dramatically reduced the text on the page load. Still, I return to my first queries...what are your goals? As Colleen said, "I also was on Etsy and found it to be a place for ex EBayers and
    hobbyists. I cannot compete with someone who sells their things in this
    manner..." I`ll say again, as kindly as I can, is Etsy a platform that you want to be associated with your image? Think about that, compare it to, say, Nordstrom`s. Which is better? Do you think there is any potential that a retailer like Nordstrom`s would carry your line if you were selling on Etsy? Now of course it is possible you don`t want to pursue that route (I get it!) but the analogy is useful. You are the sum of your associations -which I wrote about yesterday (how to find anything you need in the garment industry for nearly nothing). And, while I don`t deny SUN is nothing if not civil and well motivated, other than me, I don`t see any authorities in the garment industry hanging out here.That also speaks indirectly to the matters at hand as you resolve and refine your goals and challenges.
    Returning to Colleen`s comment about pricing, one of the leaders on our forum said (and I think this should be engraved on a brass plaque):You have to be careful about putting a lower priced customer into a
    higher priced item by catering to their price point because chances are
    they will not appreciate the differences in quality, they will feel
    that the sale price is the REAL and TRUE retail price point and thus
    you were actually overcharging to begin with AND they are unlikely to
    upgrade to paying full retail for your goods (because of the first two
    reasons).At this point, all anyone can do is make band-aid suggestions like, fix those photos, backgrounds are distracting etc but these are cursory and don`t address the heart of the matter of what your core strategies should be. In the meantime you can feel busy, that you`re proactive resolving issues applying band-aids when it is your over all direction that should be put to scrutiny. As I mentioned in my first comment, I think you should consider other ways you can fit into the mix of the industry or ways you can refine your position in it. I`d like to see you do that; your integrity is palpable.
  • Options
    AnUrbanTwistAnUrbanTwist subscriber Posts: 6
    Such excitement!  But PLEASE HELP!!!

www.JournalJunky.com has exploded!!! When I began to make the earth-friendly journals in August, I never expected the business to boom so fast.  I have now landed an account with a small chain of General Stores.  The chain includes seven stores in the mid to southwest east region of the U.S. 

The buyer asked me to fill out a vendor`s application which asked questions like what is my "required minimum order amount and reorder amount?"  I really have no idea on what to set as minimums.  I am afraid to set it too high or too low.  I was thinking about 30 per store as an opening order and 20 as reorder minimums.  Is there some kind of formula to come to this answer or do I just make up a number?

Also the buyer would like me to make custom journals for the company.  She stated that her marketing department has to initiate the images, but if they came up with something, could they send the images to me for paper production or would they need to find a producer to supply the paper to me?  This is an exciting opportunity, but what are the legal ramifications?  That`s my largest concern.  (I am thinking that they need to supply me with the paper with their logo on it.  This keeps down my costs, or I would have to charge them more...)

The last thing I am wondering about is payment terms.  The buyer told me that the terms were up to me.  This is how she explained it:

"We typically are asked to set up net/30 day terms by the majority of our vendors.  We pay your invoice 30 days after receiving the goods.  However, we have also gotten 2%/15 day terms which gives us a 2% discount if we pay in 15 days, etc., etc." 

How far can I go with this?  "50% off if you pay me tomorrow?"-Good Grief!!

(I use the net/30 day terms with another account (a bookstore) that I have.  A third account (a clothing store) paid upfront.)

How do I set up payment terms, and does this sort of agreement need a legal contract to draw up these terms?

I`m asking because you all (StartUpNation Entrepreneurs) have really been a great encouragement to me since I first started.  Please share any advice.  I appreciate it.

Enjoy your day!

Nicole Annette

www.JournalJunky.com

Earth-Friendly Paper Fun
  • Options
    cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    Kathleen:

You made some interesting points.

Colleen
  • Options
    TeepetalsTeepetals subscriber Posts: 1
    anUrbantwist,
    I would say that I think etsy is going to be what you make it. I know the whole set up account thing kinda sucks but Etsy allows you to leave feedback for an item you purchase. What if you sell your item buyer says they didn`t get it when you have dc confirmation to prove it. They leave you bad feedback. They have no account where you can leave feedback on their end explaining situation. How would any other seller know that maybe they have done this in the past  to other sellers too. On etsy since there are sooooo many shops you really have to promote hard to get your name out there. But i think you will do fine.
  • Options
    Hi thank you for your comment teepetals!  I shall check out your shop.

Nicole

www.JournalJunky.com

www.AnUrbanTwist.com
  • Options
    chinanike123chinanike123 subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi,i have a online store too,but i sell cigarettes.www chinanike123 com
    chinanike1237/21/2009 7:14 AM
  • Options
    tessimaltessimal subscriber Posts: 0
    Hi Nicole I just checked out your shop. You have 2 pages of items.
    If you want to sell a bag a day you must list at least 1 item a day.
    My Etsy Motto for Success "The More You List The More You Sell!"
    Think About it, When you list a Bag, the point of time you enter it
    into the listing category it moves from the top of the list down to the bottom.
    As the days go by it goes down page after page of listings.
    Your item is no longer at the top. So if you list a new item everyday people can find you when they  do a search for bags and the most recently listed items come up.
    You can check this yourself look at the sellers that list 5-10 aprons a day.
    You can look at the date their items were listed and see how many sales they have per day.
    You might say well "I can not make a bag a day." But you could list other items,
    like supplies,grommets, zippers, binding, trim, fabric or even vintage items. Your shop does not have to be limited to handbags. List daily, or at least 2 times a week and your sales will increase.
    The secret to successful sales is "Keep Listing" then people will find you.
    People that sell 2-10 or more items a day have 200-6000 items listed in their shops.
    Or if they just do hand made they list daily and have over 50 items.
    I hope this helped if you have any more questions convo me Tessimal
  • Options
    Hi Tessimal!

Thank you for your advice.  I relist items everyday with my other shops www.journaljunky.com and www.journaljunky.etsy.com but for the bags, it was not working, and I felt that I was just losing money.  But I am motivated to try again!

Thank you,

Nicole Annette

www.journaljunky.com

• Options
    This is something new!!! Can somebody please help?!

On Tuesday,  I received correspondance through my website from a purchasing rep in Japan.  He was interested in buying my www.AnUrbanTwist.com

www.JournalJunky.com
  • Options
    etsyezmetsyezm subscriber Posts: 0
    <blockquote><strong><a href="/community/profile/tessimal">tessimal</a> said:</strong><br />Hi Nicole I just checked out your shop. You have 2 pages of items. <br />
    If you want to sell a bag a day you must list at least 1 item a day.<br />
    My Etsy Motto for Success "The More You List The More You Sell!"<br /><br />
    Think About it, When you list a Bag, the point of time you enter it<br />
    into the listing category it moves from the top of the list down to the bottom.<br />
    As the days go by it goes down page after page of listings.<br /><br />
    Your item is no longer at the top. So if you list a new item everyday people can find you when they  do a search for bags and the most recently listed items come up.<br /><br />
    You can check this yourself look at the sellers that list 5-10 aprons a day.<br /><br />
    You can look at the date their items were listed and see how many sales they have per day.<br /><br />
    You might say well "I can not make a bag a day." But you could list other items,<br />
    like supplies,grommets, zippers, binding, trim, fabric or even vintage items. Your shop does not have to be limited to handbags. List daily, or at least 2 times a week and your sales will increase.<br /><br />
    The secret to successful sales is "Keep Listing" then people will find you.<br />
    People that sell 2-10 or more items a day have 200-6000 items listed in their shops.<br />
    Or if they just do hand made they list daily and have over 50 items.<br /><br />
    I hope this helped if you have any more questions convo me Tessimal
    </blockquote><br />

This is amazing advice! I have a small etsy shop too and have noticed more success the more I list new things too.

my handmade purses and handbags
    https://etsy.com/shop/bizmo