WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Business Partners, Team Members

2»

Comments

• Options
    DannyEstoqueDannyEstoque subscriber Posts: 1
    OK, I have a small product development.consulting business and usually design products for others (concept to prototype to production).
    I`m looking to transition from the service industry to manufacturing, so I`m looking for partners who have worked in (or have expert knowledge in) some niche industry, who have product ideas that can be brought to market. I`ve helped several start-up companies get off the ground, so I know what`s involved with bringing a product to market  
    For me, an ideal partner would be someone who, by working in sales for an established company, has developed relationships with distributers in the industry. I`ve had success with this arrangement in the past  - I was receiving royalties for products I designed, but the start-up was bought out by a larger company after a couple years. This time my goal is to be a principal in the company instead of a consultant with an equity position.
    Any well-networked, high-energy smoozers know of a product opportunity?
  • Options
    theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    Hey Danny--Welcome to the StartUp Nation community!If you don`t get any takers immediately, I`d put up a seperate post in this forum. I`m afraid it might get lost this deep in to a post.Good luck!
    Matttheswaynester2006-4-25 17:37:15
  • Options
    DannyEstoqueDannyEstoque subscriber Posts: 1
    OK thanks Matt,
    Great forum - hope I can contribute.

• Options
    TheDoctorTheDoctor subscriber Posts: 0
    >Any well-networked, high-energy smoozers know of a product opportunity?
     Well, I`m not much of a smoozer but I DO know of a few product opportunities.
     How about a barbeque grill which can burn wood, charcoal or gas - has a patented ventilation design which enables you to cook a steak in 9 minutes without the `flame licking` (and generation of suspected carcinogens) typical of conventional grills? This same grill contains an oven for roasting veggies (or whatever else) and is sized just right for tailgate parties. It`s also won awards from the government of the European Union.
     How about an electric version of the same grill for indoor use?
     I`ve a contact in Ireland who designed them and has UK patents. He`s looking for a low cost manufacturer. I have another contact whose family owns factories in China. Trouble is my Chinese friend needs cash on the barrelhead to produce an initial run and the Irish guy doesn`t have it.
     I`ve also some product designs and proven expertise in product design. Two of my creations are now commercial successes through a variety of firms including a VERY large computer company. Both designs are now industry standards in the computer graphics and data communication fields.
     How about a way to keep your laptop from overheating your lap?
     How about a room humidifier which uses no electricity yet can moisten the air in a hospital room/office/bedroom to relieve the dryness of forced air heating systems? This one I developed when my Mom was in hospital on Oxygen. The air was so dry it hurt to breath and the staff wouldn`t permit conventional (electric) vapourisers so I designed this one. A lot of people were impressed and a few years afterwards I found an electric fan version being marketed at WalMart.
     I can innovate - just can`t put a business plan together (Hare here) or take care of the mundane day to day issues.
    How about a simple modification to your car/truck/boat/plane engine that could yield 40% more horsepower and fuel efficiency?
     How about a system to generate electricity from passing cars/trucks/trains?

• Options
    BluPantherBluPanther subscriber Posts: 5
    Sorry, I`m a turtle.  Great test!!  Really accurate.
  • Options
    BluPantherBluPanther subscriber Posts: 5
    OOOPS, I meant I am an owl.  Waht was I thinking??  Maybe I need coffee.
  • Options
    RojgieanRojgiean subscriber Posts: 0
    I think that sometimes people get a little too caught up in "what type of...", instead of "what I need is..."
    I find that in trying to create a team to work with, sometimes, you want the same, sometimes you want different, and sometimes you want a wide array of people and skills.  Don`t get me wrong, I`m not saying that I think theses tests are useless, but I find that many others are a lot like myself.  I can take the same test three times three different days, and I`ll score as three different answers.  It`s because My mind is constantly adjusting for the intricacies and challenges of each new day.  Much like the IQ tests I have taken... ranging from 135 to 160 where 140 is "genius" -- that range says that I may or may not be, but the roblem is that it is not STABLE,  I change each time I take it... I have a "range", the same as everyone else.
    I think the best way to create a team is to look at what the different people enjoy doing, and what they are good at doing.  Let those criteria aply to help identify what part of a team they should be.  Then through careful questioning, and teamwork, help give eachother input on apparent strengths and weaknesses.  This will help each individual to improve on the weaknesses that the group finds -- as many times an "apparent" weakness within a group is all but an oblivious notion wot the member suffering from it.
    Hope I don`t sound like I`m trying to "sound off"... just my opinion.
    I would love to find a team based upon people who are like-minded and can envision their goal.  The ultimate team would be one of sharing, and open communication without fear of retribution or mockery, wherein a logical approach could be time-shared with creative ideals to ensure a valuable and enriching finished team.
    Hope this helps, and that I didn`t stray too far from what I took the original ide of this thread to be.
  • Options
    SuccessNoMatterWhatSuccessNoMatterWhat subscriber Posts: 2
    Hey Everyone:
    Nice to meet you! I`m Djabarou, and fairly new to this website. I started working on a business idea since last February, but I`m having difficulties connecting to the right people. I mean people I can trust and team up with to bring my idea to success. What I fear the most is having the idea stolen from me. By living in a small town like Wichita (KS) I don`t have enough chance to find the right team members. What I need at this stage is an ace computer programmer with knowledges in graphic design technology, and a dealmaker with marketing skills who will focus on sales and marketing. Both potential partners must have:
    - a relevant experience in advertisement promoting business services;
    - a good judgment and deserve to be trusted;
    - the ability to fight for a deal as hard as I would;
    I hope this explained the help that I need from you, and I would like to thank you for your willingness to help young entrepreneurs, and most of all for your precious time. It will be a pleasure hearing back from you soon.
    Regards,