WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How to form an LLC

LyfeExperienceLyfeExperience subscriber Posts: 6
edited March 2009 in Business Planning
I`m forming an LLC myself due to the costs of a lawyer and legal zoom is a cookie cutter.  My business will be in many different areas, so I having trouble how to define, what type of business it is, any advise on what to put.  Here are the divisions I will be having, internet, music, production, mobile, clothing.
Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Options
    MattThomasMattThomas subscriber Posts: 2

You want to be very general when forming articles of organization, for example if you put in your articles of incorporation that you are going to make dog food and you eventually decide you want to make dog toys, you will be in violation of your charter. A solution to this may be production of pet products. The best way to go in my observation is to be very general like, " to conduct lawful business activites", you don`t need to get too complicated.

Wouldn`t the state be understanding of future expansion? I would think they would hope that your business grows enough to expand and sell other products outside of your original business type. Would they really penalize you for being in violation of your charter? Or would they just require you to amend it?