WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

What Makes a Great Mentor or Advisor?

ObsidianLaunchObsidianLaunch subscriber Posts: 7
edited August 2007 in Selecting a Business
I get (and give) business advice all the time.  Ultimately I find common threads that resonate with me - and that is the way I go. Even then though, the advice isn`t always great.
How do you find great advisors and mentors? And how do you separate the good advice from the bad?
 ObsidianLaunch2007-8-2 19:51:15

Comments

• Options
    SecurityProfessionalSecurityProfessional subscriber Posts: 2
    I generally look at the track record of the individual relative to the advice being given. I have a great deal of respect for people who have actually done the things that they are giving advice about. I have less respect for the "armchair experts" who have plenty of advice to give, but have accomplished very little on their own.
    For example, I would always listen to business advice given by a person who had successfully operated one or more businesses in the past. (I may not agree with or follow that advice, but I would at least listen to it.). Along the same lines, I would be much more inclined to take personal fitness advice from someone who was in great shape rather than from someone who was 100 pounds overweight.
    I also think that different people have different styles of doing things. Advice coming from someone who has a radically different style than your own can be extremely difficult to implement. Telling a pig that it needs to swim like a duck generally never works.
     SecurityProfessional2007-8-3 1:7:51
  • Options
    WebDropsWebDrops subscriber Posts: 3
    A mentor should be a person who meets
    us for few minutes and gives us some advice and those words helps us
    to be positive and also helps us to achieve what we want... I guess
    gut feeling plays a very critical role... if u believe in the person
    who is giving u advice... m sure there are more chances of u
    following his words...