WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Feedback needed on potential business idea

I am new to SuN and am part of a start-up product development company.  This post is unrelated to my product development company.
I saw an telecommunications commercial where there is a guy in Africa giving shoes away - because his footwear company has chosen to donate a pair of shoes for every one they sell.  So an idea for a new business came to me - and it could start small / local.  The mission of the consulting company would be to use / leverage charitable, brand-related programs to address business issues and increase consumer perception of  brands and support the civic integrity of client companies. 

The array of what I would call "humanitary" or "charitable" initiatives is almost endless.  So developing the expertise around what charitable / humanitary resources are available in the community would be the first step I think.  I think this could be a very valuable expertise.  Many companies have these initiatives already in place, but I`m sure they could be improved or more brand-relevant.     

I`ve always had a desire to do non-prof work, but I`m also very entrepreneurial and like to make money.  So this could almost be a happy medium for me.

Keep in mind this thought came to me about 2 days ago - the very day my company downsized significantly and I lost my job.  So I haven`t had a change to put much energy into this thought as I`ve been job searching.  What you all think!?   

Comments

• michaelweaver4michaelweaver4 subscriber Posts: 1
    Apologies for the vagueness of my initial post and for the length of this post.  I`ll tell you a bit about my background real quick. 

I come from a global branding organization.  So, from my experience, I have learned that there are a number of different ways to answer fundamental business questions (e.g. How do I get more people to shop my store?  How do I get more people to listen to what I have to say?  How do I become more relevant to the people who matter to me?  etc.)  Adding to that, I`ve always been service oriented as I enjoy helping people.  IDEA: mesh brand consulting with helping people.   

Branding agencies are consultants.  Companies hire them because they have expertise and know-how when it comes to figuring out what the company`s next moves should be (e.g. new logo, new store design, different merchandising, new tagline, etc.)

With the business I`m proposing - I`d be a consultant.  With expertise and knowledge around answering fundamental business questions via "charitable" (that might not be the right word, but until I think of something better....yeah) programs. 

I`ll take a stab at Biziness`s suggestions:

What specific problem are you trying to solve?

As with any company or brand, an ongoing challenge is positive consumer perception - whether it`s a global brand or a small business trying to grow within a community. 
    A second problem is awareness - how well is your consumer base aware of your product or service offering?
    So the problem / challenge that I am trying to solve is - How does a company increase their awareness (or, effectively utilize charitable acts or programs to their benefit - to increase consumer perception and increase awareness? 

What is the product/service your company will offer?  Recommending, mobilizing, and executing charitable programs. 

Research and Recommend - use survey research to determine what the most effective program might be for that particular brand
    Mobilize - Coordinate resources, facilities, media, etc.  Whatever would be required logistically
    Execute - Ensure the program is executed according to plan. 
    Post-Research - I suppose there could also be some post-program research that would validate the program for future use and so forth. 

How will your product/service solve that problem?

My product or service is just a different form of advertising. And in today`s economic environment - unique approaches are appreciated and they are winning. 

SO, my company would answer fundamental business questions:

How do I increase awareness - so more customers know what I have to offer?
    How can I make people think I am doing good for the community?

I know it`s a stretch if you even understand my long-winded explanation.  Sorry if i lost you. 

• patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    uh, not sure about the question or concept.