WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Non profit start up advice

tee11tee11 subscriber Posts: 1
edited March 2008 in New Member Welcome
Hello,

I have started a non profit organization. Mentor, Encouarge,Lift and Love Inc. will provide parenting resources to teen parents. My problem is that I am having a hard time getting people to back me. I have heard that what I am doing is very noble, I have obtained certification from Maryland Mentoring Partnership, created a website, & became incorporated, but no one seems to take me serious. I need donations and funding to obtain my 501 3 c status, but I have not gotten anything. How can I get them to help me fulfill my dreams. My website   www.mentorteenparents.org

Thank you!!

Comments

• Options
    bizupsbizups subscriber Posts: 2
    Hey There...just visited your site...sounds like a good cause....I`m no expert, but in process of starting a nonprofit myself, braiv.com ... an expert recommended a book / worksheet I just ordered for about 10 bucks from Amazon called "The Brand Advocate"....you might try that...also maybe make your site more concise as people are not going to spend much time reading and clicking on a site as a general rule...at some point it is good to get a professional web developer to help maximize website and help with SEO, search engine optimization, so people can find you at Google, Yahoo, etc...I have not done that either....your name is quite long and not very catchy....I like the acronym you used on donate page MELL....every little bit counts....maybe run ads on newspaper or see if local news would do a story on you, which is free, and gives you exposure....hope this helps...Quentin, braiv.com
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I would look into that book, I have already purchased and read "How to start a Non Profit" & have partnered up with a volunteer organization in the community & they are helping me. I have also partnered with 2 other local new non profits & we are going to help each other. You can find me on google, I have to make the site searchable on yahoo. I have also placed an ad in the penny saver and black pages.org. I have a friend that is a radio personality and his own web based show, so he is going to give me some air play. I am going to sponsor a Pregnant Teen Baby Shower in September as a grand opening event.

Thanks agains & good luck with your organization.

Are there any other non profit leaders out there with advice???
    tee113/24/2008 3:09 PM
  • Options
    I`m sorry, I forgot to ask do you have your 501 3 c status? How are you getting donations? Are you networking? 
  • Options
    dsprindledsprindle subscriber Posts: 2
    We started a non-profit in 1996 and still lead it today.

People who donate to you have to totally believe in what you are doing to the point where they will be involved on a personal level. In other words they become contributing members of your organization because they share the same vision and heart you have.

They also need to see how your organization plans to accomplish its mission. And finally who is going to do what?

People also want to know there is accountability. You need to have a board of directors and also a budget of what the donations will be used for. People want to know their money is not going to be mis-used.

The more money that directly impacts teen parents, the more likely people are to donate. People will be less likely to give if it`s just going to administrative costs, like salaries and such.

You do not have to have donations to become a 501 (c)(3) non-profit corp. You just need to file with the IRS. Go to this link to see what is required if you havn`t done that yet. http://www.irs.gov/charities/charitable ... 99,00.html

dsprindle3/24/2008 5:42 PM
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your advice dsprindle. That is exactly what I was looking for. I have a board of directors, but it still seems like I am doing all of the work. Thanks again for your advice!!!
  • Options
    dsprindledsprindle subscriber Posts: 2
    You are welcome,

Yes you will do the majority of the work initially and will grow in your leadership skills as you learn to empower others to take ownership of their mission.

One question that would be helpful to ask yourself is, "How can I locate and connect with the people who have the same heart as me concerning teen parenting".

Look for networking opportunities... your idea of being part of the a teen baby shower is perfect!

We are praying for you and the impact you will have on these parents and children. Who can better relate than you?

Blessings,
    Scott & Laurie