We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Web based service business

MdcnMnMdcnMn subscriber Posts: 10
edited January 2009 in Business Planning
I`d like to start an online business, do I need to have a business name? register my business with the state? Need a business license?  Now for some background.
The website I will be starting is more of a service based business model.  Initially I do not plan on making any money.  My year 1 goal is to market my website and build traffic.  Once I have credible "traffic", I plan to sell Ad space...which will be my main revenue source...from the website that is. 

As far as the website is concerned, it will be a tool for most consumers.  It will allow them to save time, and perhaps money, without too much of an effort.  Obviously I do not want to disclose more details at this point. 
Any advice will be very much appriciated.


  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    i`d suggest you select a name that is not overly descriptive so that it can be registered with USPTO and not as easily copied.  For example, a good brand name for tissue is "Charmin" instead of "soft" since all tissue is hopefully soft.
  • MdcnMnMdcnMn subscriber Posts: 10
    I think I need to claify my question.  I will have a business name, but my question was that since its a website, do I have to register it with the state?  Or can I just simply start a website and not worry about any legal issues with the state (i.e. IRS)? 
    I do plan on making money, but I feel that the Ad space on the website may not hold value if I do not have any traffic.
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    First of all the IRS is a Federal Agency. Regardless of the name - they will expect you to account for any income. Depending upon where you reside, your State may have the same "expectation".  Also, your State may be "interested" in sales tax- if you sell anything.
    If  you want to do business (receive money, pay bills, etc)  under a name (other than your own) you will have to do something - because Banks want "proper documentation" in order to set up a bank account under a business name.
    If your name is Joe Smith, you can operate a sole proprietorship as "Joe Smith Company" - using your own SS number for all tax purposes. If you want to "operate" as a sole proprietorship under any other name - you`ll need to file for a DBA. Usually this is done at the local  (county) level.
    robertj1/7/2009 12:28 PM
  • MdcnMnMdcnMn subscriber Posts: 10
    robertj -- what is a "DBA"?
  • robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    DBA = Doing Business As.
Sign In or Register to comment.