WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How does IP Protection work?

louisofenglandlouisofengland subscriber Posts: 1 Member
edited July 2009 in Developing Your Invention
My invention uses readily available components, and some new but straightforward electronics, but the mix is the original concept. Thus there is no scope for Patents, since it uses proprietry items which exist. The concept is for a zero fuel cost car. In other words on the basis of 10000 annual miles, up to 80 mph, and so on, there is no fuel cost at all. It is wholly Green. Is there any level of protection on an IP basis given that it has been on Internet view publically since about October 2008?

Comments

• Options
    nevadasculnevadascul subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    I agree Shawn.  Get a patent attorney.  James (patentandtrademark) in the SUN community seems to have a good handle on such topics.
  • Options
    Thanks for that both. Its not clear how IP works, and I am in UK so it may be different in the US. I can however prove my concept to a date as it was public on the Internet that day. Also it may be a little early as it was designed as if oil based fuels (petrol, gasoline, diesel) were no longer available in bulk quantities (around 2040?). Will take your advice.
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    you need to spend time and money to review this with your patent lawyer.  I will tell you that you can NOT patent a mere goal or objective to achieve.  For example, a car that gets 1,000 MPG can not be patented.  You can, however, obtain patent protection of a particular engine [which allows a car to get 1,000 MPG].  In other words, you need something "concrete" that has real-world utility.
  • Options
    Yes thanks for that. The total concept of course has "real world" utility and does work, in actuality. But the individual parts are proprietry and incapable of Patent. So in effect if you or anyone bought these parts, and built the electronic part (which is straightforward and of no new technical evolution) this car would work for you. However in the US your Gas is one third the price of ours - as far as I know unlike us you do not in the US get zero Road Tax for Green cars, so your interest as consumers would be less. Thanks for your thoughts very welcome.
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    a patent can be obtained even if all components are old.
  • Options
    The principle of my car is quite simple. It uses "bi directionality". The car is electric of course. Along with the car is a generation pack, which is wind and solar basically, sized for regions. It is not big, and operates 24/7/365. This produces a monetry value after losses of inverted mains power. This blends to the house electric supply. That monetry value of the generated power equals the whole use of the car, plus typically 20 to 35 percent of the house grid metered electricity. Hence the car has no fuel cost. The only new part to the concept is the electronic control unit which inverts the generated power (in the UK), synthesises the power factor (for AC in the UK), and varies charge control, and electronic switching below the grid supply meter. No power at all is drawn from the electric grid, indeed grid usage and hence power station emmisions is reduced. Thus it is truly green.
  • Options
    saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    IP is always protected by law so that one can earn recognition along with the financial benefits from their own creation. Intellectual Properties aims to provide the creators with an environment in which their creativity can flourish.