WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I want on QVC!!!!

GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
edited December 2007 in Sales
I am inspired and will not stop until I see my mug on that darn TV!!   

Brian Cohn, a fellow SuN member, inventor and Entrepreneur got in!  WAY TO GO BRIAN!!!

http://www.startupnation.com/media/epis ... siness.htm

After listening to that pod cast, I am re-energized to get that QVC brass ring.  I have flown to QVC headquarters in West Chester PA for the open product searches, I have submitted online, and yet still I get the “Thanks but no thanks” email.  Grill Charms are a perfect fit for QVC, if I could just get the attention of the right buyer, I KNOW I could sell myself and my product.  Here is a list of why

“Grill Charms™ have the same target market of women over the age of thirty. According to Charmed Life Products’ primary market research, men love this product once they have it, but it is women who buy this for the men in their lives.  (Women primarily are the QVC audience)

Grill Charms™ have many demonstrative points (spice preference, temperature, food allergy management and health).  All could be demonstrated with different foods (chicken, steak, tuna steaks), and different colors of sauces rubs and marinades. Different temperatures of steaks could be shown as well as the ease of use in all types of foods.

Grill Charms™ and QVC have a potential for a long-term relationship as Charmed Life Products could exclusively introduce new collections first on QVC.  (Two prime occasions every year are for a Father’s Day gift buying special, and again at Christmas).  Charmed Life Products already plans on introducing 2 new collections a year and would be willing to discuss offering exclusive “premiers” to QVC.

According to the QVC website, QVC targets new and unique products.  Patent pending Grill Charms™ just launched so it is very new and very unique.

Leslie Haywood, Founder and President of Charmed Life Products and Inventor of Grill Charms™ has a dynamic personality which will come across effectively on QVC.

Besides the obvious categories of gifts and also kitchen gadgets, QVC is a superior venue for collectables. Charmed Life Products would be willing to negotiate terms for exclusive limited-time collections to QVC making them a collector’s item.” 

Okay guys… what am I missing? Or am I soooo blind to my “baby” that I can’t possibly see how flawed I am in thinking QVC and Grill Charms are match made in heaven?

I’m asking you, my friends, to give it to me straight….  Am I fooling myself in thinking that QVC is the perfect retailer for me, or am I right?   And if I’m right… WHAT AM I DOING WRONG??!!!
GrillCharmer12/28/2007 2:38 PM

Comments

• GetAGripGetAGrip subscriber Posts: 14
    Have you tried HSN, I had much better luck with them than QVC.  I have my buyer contact if you would like the info.  I`m not positive that he is in your product category, however he may be able to lead you the right way.  Thanks, Trent
  • GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Wow... Sorry about the temper tantrum.

Now that I read that again... I`m sure you all picture me stomping my feet on the floor with fists clenched like my 3 year old...

I WANT ON QVC TOO MOMMY!!!!

Ha!!! Sorry guys!

Seriously, any tips from the "been there done that" folks that have made it to "the big show?"  I wanna go all the way baby!!!
    GrillCharmer12/28/2007 2:54 PM
    Thanks DoorMat!  Yep, SkyMall is on "the list" too.
  • storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
    Leslie, I have no clue why QVC would turn you away! I have only one suggestion...go in person to another product search.

I know you`ve done it before (I was there too - we just missed each other!) but consider that your practice run. Now you have the actual product in hand, some sales and testimonials behind you and you`re soooo charismatic and `charming` (man, I tried hard not to use that word but I couldn`t resist!) I really think that in person, you`re the total package. On paper...it`s just so darn hard to have all of that come together. I just have a feeling that the product submissions they receive over email or snail mail don`t receive the same level of attention that an in person demonstration would.

If you don`t get in this time, you might try HSN like Trent suggested or maybe try some major mail order catalogs (Hammacher Schlemmer might be a good one)? 

But for now...
     Get the appointment. Book the flight. Charm their pants off!
    Thanks Melissa and Janie!  I`m really wondering what I`m missing.  I didn`t tell them about my capacity to produce, but that isn`t a problem.  My OEM is begging for some huge numbers, so they are just waiting for "the word". I would love to tell them to ramp up the next run to 10,000 units!  I`m really feelin 08 though! 
  • drvagdrvag subscriber Posts: 5
    Hi Leslie.  You don`t mention it, but I assume your price point is right for their program and their cost allows them the margins they require.  And probably most important, (in their mind) does the product appeal to a broad enough audience?  Do you have enough sales history to provide some estimate for potential?

Best of success,
    Doug
    Yep, yep and maybe not...  Sales history.... working on it
  • LaVerneLaVerne subscriber Posts: 0
    After reading your e-mail, I`m still not sure what a Grill Charmer does, what it is, how much it costs or why I`d want one.   I "feel" your excitement.  I`m your "target consumer".    If I can`t determine in about 5 seconds or less the answers to the above questions, you lost me at hello. 
  • SwaneySwaney subscriber Posts: 0
    Grill,

I am please to hear that are are so enthused by your product, but you need to make it easier to understand what it is.  I have had a number of products that I have sold over the internet and QVC over the past years and I will share with you how I first got on QVC.  I produced a series of Trading Cards and posters dedicated to the Ford Mustang.  I sent QVC a sample set and then followed up with a phone call.  They had no interest at first and then I told them that I would be attending a Mustang Celebration in Charlotte and that I thought it would be great if they joined me to sell my product and have a live feed from the event.  Much to my surprise, they said it was a great idea and they jumped at it.  They sent a film crew down for the day and broadcast live on site from Charlotte Motor Speedway, we sold a little over 4,000 packs of trading cards and poster combinations within moments.

Whether it was because the producer wanted to get out of the office, or they thought it sounded cool, who cares, it worked.

Since I don`t understand what you are actually selling, I can not be very specific, but try wrapping it around an event that makes sense.  Maybe a food trade show or grill trade show in Chicago, Las Vegas or some place that you think they would want to go.

It is worth a try.  Keep me informed.  Happy New Year!
  • rajinenterprisesrajinenterprises subscriber Posts: 3
    Hello Temper Tantrum Lady!

Have they told you exactly why they said No?

P.S. I LOVE your enthusiasim and drive! Keep it up!

Jamie
  • Krissy4jafraKrissy4jafra subscriber Posts: 2
    How great there are others that share the QVC quest! I keep saying "we`ll need this when QVC calls..." AS IF THEY DO THE CALLING HAHA!
    But now that we`re on the subject of prcing, does anyone know what kind of margins they ask for as far as pricing goes?
    I recently did my first negotiation with a volume buyer- they wanted to buy volume from MOI! Well, I faked it but didn`t make it, my wholesale pricing structure wasn`t tailored for the volume they were asking. We DID do a complete price point analysis because of that, and now I know how low (or not) we really can go, especially since we make and manufacture ourselves.
    But just so I`m ready "when THEY call" me lololol......

And how do you present yourself to the big guys anyways? Is there a media package or some etiquette on paperwork used to promote yourself enough to the big guys?

Thanks and GOOD LUCK Leslie!!

Krissy Ferro
    Ferro Cosmetics Mineral Makeup

www.ferrocosmetics.com
  • SwaneySwaney subscriber Posts: 0
    Krissy,

From my recolection I believe they are looking for a 30% mark-up.  You need to show that you are professional and can handle what they are asking of you.  We had to prepare a package that would not only hold our trading cards, but also a 24"x36" poster.  This was all custom packaging they requested. 

I hope this helps.
  • mcarrierimcarrieri subscriber Posts: 0
    Three little words:  big beefy guys!

They are your target market.  The best place to find a lot of them grilling is at tailgate parties.  Football season is ending, which is the best time, but there`s also college events, cookoffs and BBQ contests around the country.  I suggest starting there directly to your customers.  Then hopefully someone will know someone who is in the food biz and help get you started. 

People (again, mostly guys) at BBQ events spend all day there.  And due to the beer industry they are happy and willing check out new ideas. 

Also, have a GrillCharm model that is wearable on a hat or shirt or jacket, to show the people they run into.  Ones that say "Dad`s steak", "Don`t touch", "Let`s make a steak" etc.  Guys and gals who BBQ love to show their talents.  Another helpful idea is to have football uniform color models, espec Raiders, Cowboys, Niners, GB and NE, large markets and packed stadiums, as well as the most popular college teams.  (Especially those that have been recently or consistently in Bowl games).

As for getting on to QVC, try to find other QVC products that are similar and compare.  Find other QVC product developers and how they got in (like from the video).  Also, find other services that connect to QVC, and see if you can get the production services company for QVC.  All TV shows have them. 

Back to BBQ:  on the Food channels the most popular BBQ guy is Bobby Flay.  See if you can get in touch with his shows or production company, and get mentioned there.
    Take care, good luck and have prosperous 2008!

Sincerely,

Mike Carrieri

Thanks for all the input guys!  About “what it is”, just a little background (I was trying to avoid this post being an advertisement, but it would help if you knew what my product was huh?)  Okay... here goes....

Grill Charms™ are similar in concept to the wine charm. Each charm is the size of a dime with a decorative head and a stem that is textured so it does not fall out while grilling or broiling. Grill Charm™ your food prior to cooking to distinguish spices and flavors, steak temperatures, or to avoid health or allergy issues. When dinner comes off the grill everyone knows which one is theirs.

No more cutting into 5 steaks to try to find the rare one

No more offering only mild BBQ because too few guests like it spicy

No more confusion with health or allergy concerns

Serrated to stay in securely while grilling, flipping and moving

Made of high quality heat conducting stainless steel

Food cooks evenly around charm

Stress free grilling for grill master and guests

Works with Burgers, Chicken, Steak, Pork, Fish and more!

This is the Steak Collection (MR for Medium Rare etc..)

That`s pretty much it in a nutshell

JMac, thanks for the realistic picture of what exactly I’m asking for.  I’m not deterred, but most certainly it is smart to go into it with eyes wide open.  I have heard the stories and still want in… Am I crazy or what?!  I think your post gives very valuable information about the retail machine that is QVC and I do know it is not for the faint at heart.  I still want a shot though.   

Swaney, thanks so much for the story!  I’m going to have some cool PR opportunities coming up, so maybe I’ll be grabbing someone’s attention this year.  4000 units in minutes!!  See, now THAT’S what I’m talking about!!!  YAHOO!!!

Jamie, most recently with their online submission form I received this rejection…

“Your recent product submission was given careful consideration during the review process. We regret that your product does not fit into current programming strategies, but we wish to thank you again for your interest in QVC.
    Unfortunately, due to the volume of submissions and press of other merchandising responsibilities we are unable to provide individual evaluation comments regarding the decision.
    Please understand this decision is not a reflection on the merits of your product. It simply means it does not meet QVC`s needs.
    QVC wishes you good luck in marketing your product elsewhere.”

Krissy,
    Your “Eye Candy” is AWESOME!!!
    Glad to see I’m not alone!!  2008 girlfriend… I’m feelin it!!!
    GrillCharmer1/3/2008 3:13 PM
  • DGoodinDGoodin subscriber Posts: 6
    Your product has a lot of appeal to me... I love to grill.

Just shooting from the hip with a quick idea for you... are there any "grill off" competitions you could attend and show your product that way, like the person who did the Mustang trading cards?

-OR-

Are there any cooking shows on tv that are targeted at grilling foods specifically? Sending a set for "demo" purposes might get your foot in the door there as well....