WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Tagline - witty or dirty?

2»

Comments

• Options
    EdgEventEdgEvent subscriber Posts: 10
    I do like Event-Garde...it`s cute. My only concern is how to actually pronounce the name...Do i say it like "Event...guard" which sounds like a security company or like "Avant-garde" which doesn`t really give any clue to what i do...which was the problem in the first place.  On paper its a great name...but my biggest marketing tool is word of mouth...so if people( or even myself) can`t pronounce the name correctly...it defeats the purpose.
    Also, couldn`t i potentially get in trouble with that other company in Vancouver for having the exact same name? I don`t want any legal disputes over the name...should it become popular in the future. Is that a By country thing? or international?EdgEvent2/14/2008 11:24 AM
  • Options
    jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    How about Eventages.com? Sort of a play on the word advantages.
    Tagline "Your event has advantages with Eventages!
    Eventages.com is available.
    or
    Eventicool.com  is available.

Or Edgevent Tagline"Where Event is a verb..."

• Options
    Thanks everyone for thinking so much about this and helping with the naming ideas. You`ve all come up with some really great ideas and i appreciate it. After a lot of brainstorming, I still haven`t really found anything i like as much as EdgEvents. So i went back and did some additional digging and found that there is no business officially registered under that name in my area or any other area that i`ve checked. The name isn`t trademarked by anyone. The website that is up on edgevents.com seems to be a link to a different website for a party planner under another company name in Fremont CA (which is like 30 min away from me which is why i was worried about it) but i checked with their county business DBA list and it`s not registered. Also the site that is up there says its under construction. According to the whois, the domain  was bought 2 years ago and expires in August of this year so i`m hoping they won`t renew it since thye haven`t really done anything with the website in 2 years. Then maybe i can grab it. DO you think it`s worth the risk of naming my company EdgEvents despite the potential that there`s another company close by with the same name? If they haven`t registered the name, they have no grounds for complaint right?
    In the mean time...edg-events.com is available as is edgevents.net and .org so i thought i could use one of those for my website until the .com becomes available. What do you all think?
  • Options
    jwatkinsjwatkins subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member
    You may be able to buy the name. But, think about this, here you are with an idea and a name, here`s someone else 30 minutes from you with the same idea and wants the same name. Sounds like a perfect partner.
  • Options
    Well apparently California doesn`t have a statewide Fictitious Business Name search feature. I checked with the secretary of state and you can search for corporations, LLCs and LPs (of which none have the name EdgEvents) but to search the FBN names, you have to go to the individual county clerk websites. I checked all of the counties in the SF Bay area (which is where i`ll be doing business) and none of their FBN searches found anything.
    I prefer to use the name without the hyphen too. My concern is that so many people are used to seeing .coms that if they accidentally type in edgevents.com they will go to someone else`s party planning site. It wouldn`t be as big of a deal if they went to a site for financial services or something...but its someone in the same industry as me, in a town that is like 30 min away. So i don`t want people thinking they are me. I would try to buy it from them, but i`ve never done that...and godaddy charges like $50 for them to try to buy the name, and they can`t guarantee they can get it...so that could be a big waste of money. I plan on buying up a bunch of other  names like the .net and .org and .biz, but i`d really like the .com
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    You don`t HAVE to say that you are a home-based business.  You want to appear bigger and more successful than you are.
  • Options
    PhotofreakPhotofreak subscriber Posts: 0
    How about Eventedge Designs? Kind of a play on advantage. I agree with Rich on the tag line not going with the name. I din`t get, at first glance, you were behind event design.
  • Options
    patchpatch subscriber Posts: 0
    Catchy or offensive? Only your potential customers can really tell you. The ones who hire you and say they were attracted by the tag will say catchy, whatever their real reaction. Those who are offended? You will never hear from them. So you don`t know how many customers you will be turning away just by trying to be cute. You can jeopardize your whole business if it offends too many potential customers.

My advice is, if you think it might offend, it certainly will. How many? You will never know. Can you take the risk of offending so many that your business fails? Only you can answer that.
  • Options
    RickHoranRickHoran subscriber Posts: 1
    Kim,
    I know that the hyphen is not preferred but for what it`s worth, the URL "Edge-Events.com" is available.
  • Options
    JovanJovan subscriber Posts: 3
    I like Edg-Events.  Simple and to the point.  Although I would assume you were an event planner, the terms "design" and "production" make the business a little unclear to some.
  • Options
    LaurParLaurPar subscriber Posts: 1
    I know this was posted over 6 months ago, but I somehow stumbled upon this forum and had to throw in my 2 cents..
    I`m kind of disappointed that after all that brainstorming you decided to stick to you original name. I think CampSteve and MotionGuy came up with some really amazing names (Event-Garde was my favorite!!! Kudos!)I`m only just getting into the Entertainment/Event/Production industry, but I already know how hard it is to stand out from the rest. I feel like using any type of "Edge" and "Event" is way over done--especially if you have to reword it so many times to find one that hasn`t been used already. And as CampSteve said, I think you could come up with a really creative name--A name that allows YOUR business to define the up and coming industry, not the other way around. I hope that makes sense. (Can`t stress those Google & Zingerding references enough!)I`m sure you`re long gone from this post and my opinion isn`t as constructive as the others, but I really think you could do much better..But sticking with the E and E...Evoke Events - We Bring Out The BestEtch-Event / etch-e-vent - (maybe a tagline about drawing up plans or something)Even Events - We Lay It Out For YouEntirely EventsEverlast Events/Events Everlasting (just sounds.. enchanting, ha)And some randos, even though they`re not REAL random names..Turn Out EventsStairstep EventsOffbeat OccasionsA (your name) AffairCatalyst OccasionsOr I would try throwing another language in there. That can have a cool effect.or just.. EdgEvents - We Do It While You Watch. :-)Good luck with your business! 
  • Options
    RockinJoeRockinJoe subscriber Posts: 0
    great tagline. Don`t hesitate.