WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Government Funding

justinboyd101justinboyd101 subscriber Posts: 11
edited February 2009 in Startup Funding
Do you think the government would provide funding for a video game retail store?

Comments

• Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    justin,

If, by "provide funding" - you mean some type of grant , then I`d say probably not. You might be able to get some local support if you`re moving into a blighted area or something like that - but it won`t cover everything you`ll need to get started.

If you mean, give you a loan, - the government doesn`t lend money. The SBA has a couple of guarantee programs where they "guarantee" the lender will be repaid if the borrower defaults. For loans, where no real estate is purchased) the qualifications are pretty stringent these days. You`ll need a strong business plan that clearly demonstrates the business can repay the loan. Plus you`ll need to have put some cash into the business as well.
  • Options
    Thank you Robert,
    Yes. I was curious about a government grant. The area is not blighted so to speak so I doubt government funding is out of the question as far as grants go.
    How would I go about gaining local support?
  • Options
    robertjrobertj subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    I`d suggest contacting the local /regional economic development association.
  • Options