WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Advice needed for a new business and website

alslespaulalslespaul subscriber Posts: 2
Hello All,

I`m looking for a little input on what would be the best options for my new business that I plan to launch in `08.  My wife and I are both Registered Dietitians and are looking to start an informational website offering our professional nutrition expertise.  Most of the content (healthy tips, healthy cooking demos, etc.) will be free with the intent of generating traffic to sell advertising on the site.  There were also be a link to another 3rd party service that we`ll use to provide premium content (individual nutrition coaching/counselling) for a fee.

I`m am wondering if it would be possilbe to use a service such as Windows Live, or Yahoo Small business for this?  I know they provide easy to use templates and I like what I`ve seen.  I`m quite techonolgically savvy and enjoy desiging for the most part, so this seems like a fairly easy way to do it?

Will those services allow me to sell advertising on my site?  What are the best methods for selling advertising on web pages?

Thanks!

Comments

• DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    Whoa...slow down, my friend! You`re way ahead of yourself.

First of all, it takes a long time to generate the kind of  traffic that would make legitimate businesses want to advertise on your site. Unless of course you plan on paying for traffic - which can get expensive.

The very first thing you need to do is figure out what CMS you want to use. I have first-hand knowledge in this area, because I own a popular article directory called GuruKnowledge.org. I researched CMS`s for month`s before deciding to go with Interspire`s ArticleLive software.

http://interspire.com

In my opinion, it`s the best CMS on the market - but it`s not cheap. So that`s your first step - choosing a CMS. Once you do that, populate your site with as much relevant content as you can and refresh it often. Fresh, interesting content will help make your site "sticky," and give visitors a reason to return to your site over and over again - which is one of the keys to retaining traffic and becoming profitable.  If you build your business the right way, eventually you will have enough traffic to seek out advertisers if you wish. Adbrite will be able to secure advertisers for you:

http://adbrite.com

A word of warning...Many people are turned off by advertising on websites. That`s something you might want to keep in mind.

Dale King

DKing12/28/2007 2:14 PM
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    Before you jump to a CMS solution, lay out / write down and plan what your website is to have for content and sources. What features and functions your website is to include, and some idea of what it may look like (or examples of other websites that are similar).

Who`s your target market? Who`s you online competition? What may be your targeted keywords?

Will this be a do-it-yourself website? Are you or someone else going to maintain it (add, change content)?

You can use a blog program to manage articles you or others write and you can automatically include your and other content into a website using various RSS feed techniques (without using a CMS program).

I agree with the above thoughts on advertizing (monitizing your site). What is the main purpose of your site...to make ad dollars or to provide a service / valuable information to your viewers?

~Roland
  • sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member

Before you jump to a CMS solution, lay out / write down and plan what your website is to have for content and sources. What features and functions your website is to include, and some idea of what it may look like (or examples of other websites that are similar). Who`s your target market? Who`s you online competition? What may be your targeted keywords? Will this be a do-it-yourself website? Are you or someone else going to maintain it (add, change content)? You can use a blog program to manage articles you or others write and you can automatically include your and other content into a website using various RSS feed techniques (without using a CMS program). I agree with the above thoughts on advertizing (monitizing your site). What is the main purpose of your site...to make ad dollars or to provide a service / valuable information to your viewers? ~Roland

Second that.  Plan everything out first and then execute the attack.