WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Jar of Butt Rub closes down airport

LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
edited June 2006 in Marketing
When you`ve got a product called Bad Byron`s Butt Rub you most likely already have a good sense of humor about your product and make the most of it in your marketing/promotion.  My partner is a satisfied customer of the product and I`ve ordered it as a gift for several friends and clients.  Still, I got a good laugh this afternoon when I got an email from company founder Byron Chism with the heading:Jar of Butt Rub closes down airportOpening the message, Chism added "On Monday June 12, the Tallahassee Regional airport evacuated approximately 470 people when personnel discovered a `suspicious` package. Turns out a traveling food writer from Saveur Magazine had picked up some Butt Rub and for a few hours it, along with a jar of Tupelo honey, a recording device, and an oyster shell, was the #1 security threat in the country!He then added a link to the full news story.I thought I`d share here at SuN to show how a business can capitalize on a completely accidental event pertaining to a product.  The name "Butt Rub" itself is enough to get people giggling.  The fact that it played a part in closing down an airport suddenly offers a great opportunity to be playful with the media - even with the seriousness of Homeland Security - and remind your client base about your product via an email. - J.