We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

FDA and home based food biz

jennn721jennn721 subscriber Posts: 2
edited October 2006 in Home-Based Businesses
I would like to start a business that involves purchasing wholesale loose tea
and packaging it myself. I`m not processing or manufacturing any food,
simply packaging. Does anyone know what FDA requirements or licenses I
would need to get?


  • jennn721jennn721 subscriber Posts: 2
    Oh wow! It`s the dippy chick! I`ve read about your company and was quite impressed!
    Thanks for the advice, Elids. I suppose I am doing some type of processing. I`m familiar with labeling requirements though as I`ve created them for other companies before.
    I`ve been in contact with a couple of private label manufacturers, but I`m finding them to be too expensive for what I want to do. I want to offer loose tea in personalized tea tins (among other novelty items). But if I do the packaging and graphic design myself, I can create them for a $1.00 and mark them up 100%. Keeping the price as low as possible is crucial as I`m targeting mainly brides who don`t have large budgets.
    In the food licensing article, it says you can`t have an establishment in a private home, but then it says it can exist in rooms completely partitioned from the living, sleeping, or food areas. I believe you can have it in a finished basement or garage solely dedicated to the business.
    I`m not sure what I`m going to do from here, but I`m determined to make it work.
    Thanks for the help!
Sign In or Register to comment.