WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Need feedback before I revamp my site

ReeVReeV subscriber Posts: 2
edited July 2008 in Website Critique
Hi,
I`m new here and would love some input!
I`m getting ready to revamp my website.   The site builder I worked with had limitations and I`ve since moved the content, but need to change some things.
www.flippee.com
Does my site explain the product?
Is it easy to navigate?
What would make it better?
Thanks for your help!
Annmarie

Comments

• Options
    WebsitesUnleashedWebsitesUnleashed subscriber Posts: 4
    Annmarie,
    I like the very clean and simple look. It focuses the visitor. The coloring is also done right, its not all over the place. I think `I got the product` from even the home page. The other pages are good for supporting information, but your concept is simple enough to understand from first glance.
    Here are a few suggestions I have:The homepage has a picture in place of text. Don`t do that, it makes your homepage word count even less, and it`s already very low. Just put the text there. You can still use the horizontal bars if you want.Link the product image on the homepage to the actual product page.Add ALT texts to your images so it enforces your keyword.Use `Toilet Shield` keyword more because you already have Position 1 for `Flippee`.When in the store part of your site, make the logo link to your actual homepage and not the store homepage. Otherwise visitors may become frustrated trying to get back to the info. Going along with that, I would move the top menu of the store section of the site, so that it is under the logo (as Craig also noted). I barely saw the top-menu, and that`s why I suggest changing the logo linking of the store section to compensate more.Also now I see on the non-store section the logo isn`t linked to the homepage. I would link it; it can`t hurt you.There`s some random code at the bottom of your products page. It might have been from the Google tracker... I would update that to the latest code as well, since it`s legacy version right now.Be careful what you twitter, because it`s on page 1 for your product keyword.See about making your contact page into a fill-able form for visitors. Since your target market is Moms, you need to make things as easy as possible. This way you can receive more testimonies to put on your site.
    RegardsWebsitesUnleashed7/5/2008 3:18 PM
  • Options
    Thank you Craig & Colin!
    I am very aware of the inconsistencies with my order page and the main site.   I used ZenCart to build my order page after I found out the sitebuilder I was using didn`t support some things.  Now I`m trying to find an easy, inexpensive shopping cart that supports coupon codes.   It`s all part of the changes that I`m making.
    Any suggestions on shopping carts?
    I also use PayPal Pro and wonder whether I should be spending the $30/mo...
    I will definitely change the wording on my shipping info.
    Twitter - I struggled with this.  I`m trying to make business contacts, so I`m treading very lightly there.  It was a surprise to me to see it come up so highly on Google.   Do you think I should delete it?
    Pricing on the 1st page...should I?   It doesn`t seem common so I tucked it into the order page.
    Great point about packaging size too!
    Thanks again!
    Annmarie
  • Options
    WeblineWebline subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member

I agree with all of the other comments. The main thing is to get your navigation consistent on every page so that visitors can easily move around the site. And I don`t think the price on the main page is a bad idea; with just one product you can create a great overview all in one shot on your home page.
    BTW .... very clever name you came up with .....

But .... I`m not sure I`d want to see a Flippoo if you ever create one ....

Webline7/5/2008 9:10 PM
  • Options
    WebsitesUnleashedWebsitesUnleashed subscriber Posts: 4
    I`m familiar with Joomla`s Virtuemart but I wouldn`t necessary recommend it as a final solution. It has a bunch of kinks, as many open source programs have. You may want to try it in a test zone, and if it works for you then great. I know it supports coupons, and it would remove the requirement of PayPal Pro as I got it working with another client without the fancy API access.
    If you want to see how you can implement Virtuemart, you can look at my client`s site which sells Strike Zone Nets. It runs Virtuemart as the store software (side menu links) and the top menu pages via Joomla.
    One of the major kinks with Virtuemart is a requirement for buyers to make a username/account. Another major kink is if you ever do try installing it, don`t manage the users via Joomla after it`s installed or everything will break. Backup often when working with databases
    I personally don`t use twitter, and I don`t think it would be a good vehicle for you to make business connections. I`m unsure what type of connections you are looking for; are you just trying to market the product/brand or looking for joint ventures?
    As far as homepage pricing, I would try testing both versions. See which one gives you a lower bounce rate.
    Regards
  • Options
    vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    In addition to the comments above....

Using Zencart for your shopping cart should be fine. However, I`d suggest not using "zencart" as the directory for it... usually people use "shop" or "store".

The coding for your product pages have wierd characters at the bottom of the page... needs to be fixed.

On a side note - I`d be concerned with cleaning it ... and fluid in the "drip edge" possibly over flowing (as I can`t tell the size of the drip edge). Even if fluid is caught in the drop edge when flipee is down, won`t it drip out as the flipee is flipped back up?

~Roland
  • Options
    VideographyVideography subscriber Posts: 401 Silver Level Member
    " I`m wondering how much major damage is done by a little "splashing"." - you don`t clean the toilets at your home, do you?Kidding aside, on the shipping, since it`s all the same (I like USPS Priority Mail, too) why not say $29.99 including shipping and handling*.*Continental US only.
  • Options

On a side note - I`d be concerned with cleaning it ... and fluid in the "drip edge" possibly over flowing (as I can`t tell the size of the drip edge). Even if fluid is caught in the drop edge when flipee is down, won`t it drip out as the flipee is flipped back up? ~Roland

Very little goes in the drip lip.   The inside is glossy, so it "races" to the water.  If any is left on, it`s literally a drop.  There`s no way the drip lip could fill up.      And, it`s contoured, so if it`s flipped back up with any in the drip lip, it would go into the water. 
    I`m having a hard time getting this point across though.
  • Options
    " I`m wondering how much major damage is done by a little "splashing"." - you don`t clean the toilets at your home, do you?
    Kidding aside, on the shipping, since it`s all the same (I like USPS Priority Mail, too) why not say $29.99 including shipping and handling*.
    *Continental US only.

Good point.
    And, regarding "major repairs", I`ve had woman tell me they`ve replaced their hardwood floors, wallpaper, tile, etc. because once the smell gets in, they can`t get it out.  It soaks into the cracks and grout, where you can`t clean.
  • Options
    Like I said, this isn`t a problem for me because I don`t have kids learning to pee in the toilet so that`s why I asked about the "major repairs".  So then, if all this damage is possible, is this a product for people who don`t clean their bathroom regularly?
    I`m not contesting that serious damage is possible, I`m questioning the message behind your marketing with this one line.

Hey, this is great input, so I`m glad you brought it up.   On my new design, I actually removed that benefit because I think it sounds like a stretch too. 
    BTW - I used to clean behind my toilet daily with a paper towel wrapped around a knife to clean all the hinges and cracks.   It was so gross.  My problem is solved!
  • Options
    defilagedefilage subscriber Posts: 0
    Ok.  My message is merely for support, I think, because I know nothing of the other issues.  I have four children... one a toddler just about to learn to potty....  YOUR IDEA IS FABULOUS.  I have visited your site, will be passing it on to others and will be coming back to purchase within a few months.  I wish I had this with the other two boys!

• Options

Ok.  My message is merely for support, I think, because I know nothing of the other issues.  I have four children... one a toddler just about to learn to potty....  YOUR IDEA IS FABULOUS.  I have visited your site, will be passing it on to others and will be coming back to purchase within a few months.  I wish I had this with the other two boys! 

Thank you so much Marcelle!  I really appreciate your support!