WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How To Identify Your Target Audience

DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
edited July 2007 in Marketing
Many marketers have a difficult time figuring out who their target audience is. Unless you can do this successfully, your business is doomed to certain failure.
If you`re having a hard time figuring out who your target audience is, the following information should help you:
Know Thy Competition. The easiest way to zero in on your target audience is to first know who your competition is. For example, if you sell computer products or services, you should subscribe to computer magazines like SmartComputer.com, PCWorld.com, and ComputerWorld.com.
Study those magazines and pay close attention to those companies selling products or services similar to yours. From there you need to determine the needs of your target audience and how you can serve them better than your competitors.
You can use this process, regardless of what you`re selling. First figure out your competition, and then study the trade magazines of that particular industry.
Of  course, depending on what your selling, figuring out your target audience can be a lot more involved. For example, figuring out deomgraphics, etc.
This basic information is not intended to be a  "be all end all" solution. However, it`s more than enough to get you started in the right direction.
Dale KingDKing2007-7-5 9:54:23

Comments

• Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Is there anybody reading this that did not already know this information?  Do tell.
  • Options
    James, if you know this stuff,  that`s fine, then bypass the thread.
    But keep your sarcasm to yourself. There are people who visit this forum who don`t know this stuff.  That`s who I`m posting for.
    I`m fully aware that this is fundamental information, but many people who visit this site don`t even know the fundamentals of marketing. They`re beginners, startups. That`s why this website is called StartUpNation.
    I`m trying to be positive and help people. Take your negativity and sarcasm elsewhere.
    Better yet, instead of criticizing me, try contributing something worthwhile yourself.
    Dale KingDKing2007-7-5 17:10:46
  • Options
    my post is not negative or critical.  it is a question as to whether others do or do not know to "know their competition" and whether your post tells something new that readers don`t know.  By way of example, if I post something saying "Here`s a GREAT NEW idea to improve your communications - build a website" it would be reasonable for somebody to ask me how valuable such a post is and whether it is something that all readers probably already know.  Others reading the post may or may not think it is something they need to actually be told because it is so obvious they learned it years ago or is completely obvious.  It`s important not to be too defensive.
  • Options
    It is not for you to determine or assume what others do or do not know. And you don`t need to take it upon yourself to sabotage my thread by taking a poll asking people what they do or do not know.
    The readers will determine that for themselves. It`s not your call. Don`t speak for others. Let people speak for themselves.
    If I`m being defensive, it`s for good reason.
    It`s because everytime you respond to one of my posts, you don`t add anything constructive, you add sarcasm. I don`t like it and I`m not going to pretend that I do.
    If you have a problem with me, then come right out and say it. But I`m through sitting back and letting you take potshots at my posts.
    Like I said before, if you have a problem with my posts, bypass them altogether, but keep your sarcasm to yourself!
    That`s all I have to say on this matter!
    Dale KingDKing2007-7-5 17:8:44
  • Options
    .I disagree with competition. I think it has varying importance, depending on what your product/service is. I rarely look at mine. I hear enough about them - I just don`t want to know anymore. Be an innovator, not someone watching your competition`s every move.
    Nikole, every competent marketer I know studies the strength and weaknesses of his or her  competitors. Why? To gain a competitive advantage - to get the upper hand.
    Only by studying your competitions successes and failures can you improve upon what others have done before you, and truly become an innovator.
    Studying the competition allows you to exploit their weaknesses and mistakes, and serve your own clients better. That`s elemetary, Nikole.
    But like I said previously, not everyone knows the fundamentals of marketing, so I`m going to continue to make these elementary posts.
    They`re clearly needed.
    Dale KingDKing2007-7-5 21:42:34
  • Options
    Here is a good idea for success: learn what your customers want and what others in your industry are doing.  Also, make sure your prices are not too high or too low.  Further, do a good job, not a bad job.  If you want to call somebody and don`t have a phone number, you can always use a phone book - it has a list of numbers.  Please enjoy this useful information.
  • Options
    Trade magazines discuss the trade/competition, NOT the target audience - at least in my trade.  Reading a trade magazine will tell me very little about who needs my services and how to target them.