WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

selling my idea to a company and letting them do the work

vErTIgOvErTIgO subscriber Posts: 1
edited February 2008 in Protecting Your Ideas
My title is slightly misleading but here goes.
I have an idea that seems to fit well with a industry or company and what they do and merging it with another industry. It would actually create a sort of industry on it`s own. There have been ideas that were close but nothing involving the exact industries I have thought of. I haven`t heard of the actual idea being done before . I have read all the conversations on protecting an idea but none were pointed at presenting the idea with a company, selling it to them, and then walking away. They all seemed to be about creating an idea or product and  producing it, selling it, and protecting it. I just want to protect my idea, present it to the one industry(whoever will show interest) and even let them choose who they would want to merge with in the other industry if they were interested.
This idea seems good to me but also risky and I wonder how to set it up and get it flowing  but remaining protected, if i can. I hope i explained this ok. It`s hard without giving all the info away.

Comments

• Options
    I am pretty much relying on using the systems they have already mostly established and modifying them to work with my idea. I have a basic plan of how it would all work. So maybe if I could at least come up with some sort of layout to show them so they have an idea of what I`m thinking?
    To patent something, doesn`t it have to be an actualy object? I can write the basic ideas down and draw how it would work... Because I have to really on what they have already built as a base for my idea, Would that be enough or would I just have to forget the patent and present the idea and hope they bite?
  • Options
    toppdoggtoppdogg subscriber Posts: 8
    Well, there is an excellent book on how to file patents yourself.  The name of the book is "Patent It Yourself".  Once you read that book, you can do it yourself, saving you lots of money.

For small inventor, patent is only leverage you have when you deal with big corporations.  I won`t present the idea to any company without proper IP protection.  Depending on your products, for many big corporations, they want to protect themselves, too.  They are more afraid of you suing them for stealing your idea.  So I were you, I would file the patent, you will be in much better position.

Good luck!

Jerry

www.zymedis.com

• Options
    For me to do this idea, i would have to literally create a food company and then tie it in with internet and merge it with the other industry which I would also have to develop from scratch. I`m not really sure how I would go about making all that. It`d be like putting three businesses together. Is this where a business plan would work well for me? And if it worked, I might as well just keep it away from the big companies and make my own dough.
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Legalzoom does not file patent applications anymore - wonder why?
  • Options
    patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    It`s probably against USPTO rules - probably because they figure it is a rip off.