WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

What kind of small business that make good profits ?

fridafrida subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2008 in Selecting a Business
How to find good profit for a small business?

Comments

• Options

Well, i am not so sure about that.I`ve been thinking for ages to think about what kind of business should I run and the feedback also good. I got your point of what you said, just sometime it`s make me hesitated for new business girl like me..!
  • Options
    cmulharecmulhare subscriber Posts: 0
    Frida, how do you find good profit for a small business? As all the other members have answered above here, I would add-that in this country, the USA, that most small businesses are run by women like yourself.
    What gives you the spunk or drive, energy each and every day? What are you passionate about? What excites you? That could the direction to follow, because no matter what choice is made-the long hours are going to be had. If you are not happy or super excited and motivated what the choices you`ve made: failure will surely follow.
    Profit? Are you only speaking about money? Or maybe is there the profit of a newfound freedom to do what you truly want to be doing. Is there profit in knowing you have more control in the what and how of your life. Maybe profit is knowing you are leaning into what gives you extreme excitement out of life, fully.
    Okay, maybe you really only want to know profit as: the cost to you the vendor, the cost of shipping, and other expenses you incur, divide it by what you would sell it to the consumer for. The difference is the profit.
    But maybe that you know already.
  • Options
    KevDevKevDev subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    An excellent book that addresses this issue is Drive a Modest Car by Ralph Warner. I encourage everyone thinking of starting a small business to give it a look.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    jeannellejeannelle subscriber Posts: 1
    I have heard that beauty supply store are very profitable because the mark up is anywhere from 40% to 400%.  I know of a few people who have opened up beauty supply stores just in the last year.  I think it feeds humanities vanity.  Which seems to be growing everyday, lol.
  • Options
    Dear All,

Thanks to everyone..! I`m so supporizing of getting such a good sharing from all of you. It just what i`m thinking to start a new business on my own but i`m tired to findout what kind does it suite me? as i am bacially on travel agent but i won`t to do that more, it`s seem tiny market, i wished i could start a new one and be on my own. What should i do ? what business should i start?

Thanks and wait your advise.
    Frida
  • Options
    MichaelStoneMichaelStone subscriber Posts: 0
    Frida;
    You live in an age of endless opportunities.  I encourage you to try and google any two word combination you can think of and see if any show less than 1 Million results.

My point is that any business can be profitable if it is run with Passion, Purpose, Values and Vision.

Admit it, You know the answer to this question.  There is already something that you are passionate about, but you`re afraid that you can`t be profitable.  I encourage you to spend some time in quiet reflection and you will begin to find direction. - and that direction will be inward and not outward. 

Be not Afraid! 
    With Passion, Purpose, Values and Vision you can not fail.

Michael J Stone
    www.MichaelJStone.com
  • Options
    MichaelStoneMichaelStone subscriber Posts: 0
    Frida;
    You live in an age of endless opportunities.  I encourage you to try and google any two word combination you can think of and see if any show less than 1 Million results.

My point is that any business can be profitable if it is run with Passion, Purpose, Values and Vision.

Admit it, You know the answer to this question.  There is already something that you are passionate about, but you`re afraid that you can`t be profitable.  I encourage you to spend some time in quiet reflection and you will begin to find direction. - and that direction will be inward and not outward. 

Be not Afraid! 
    With Passion, Purpose, Values and Vision you can not fail.

Michael J Stone
    www.MichaelJStone.com
  • Options
    Thanks you Michael and Steve. I really appreciated that..! In Cambodia there`re too small market places for me to think about it. What it make me hesitated was CHANCE, CAPITAL, PLACE, CLIENT even now I still don`t know what kind of product should I use yet . Frankly, my capital too small i won`t to invest it then will not sucessfull as what we hope.I might study hard with these and see what is next step i should do after i knew the product .

Thanks for your time and sharing to me.

Will be waiting for your recommendation.

Best,
    Frida Ms.
  • Options
    Professor2020Professor2020 subscriber Posts: 0
    Thanks to technology, the Internet and our economy now is the best time to start a business with a time budget.  I like internet businesses or businesses where you don`t have to carry inventory.
    For example, a book can be self-published and have a company like lulu.com worry about printing and shipping it.  You won`t make as much per book but you didn`t have to tie up all your cash either.
    Internet businesses are low cost since thy don`t entail rent and a storefront. 
    Educate yourself by really reading the business books you hear about.  Read $500 Startup A Guide to starting a company with less than $500. 
  • Options
    cdbartworkcdbartwork subscriber Posts: 11
    Frida:

There is no guarantee that even what you are passionate about will make a lot of money but you will never know unless you try. It is in the trying that will take you places you would never dream of and this is where your success can be found.

I suggest you make a list of what you are passionate about, what you know about and then research what you come up with. Starting a business requires many exercises, lots of hard work, lots of research (this site is a great place for lots of information) and stamina.

Good Luck!

Colleen