WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

How much do I charge Advertisers?

2»

Comments

• Options
    medflymedfly subscriber Posts: 2
    I asked this same question about a year ago. Everyone has there own opinion. I personally think it depends on the traffic. I have community type websites, www.myaviationpage.com and www.mywellnessspace.com with my situation it depends on how many members I have and how often they interact on the site. Personally I would figure out the marketing formula first, get the people to the site then figure out how much to charge.

Good luck,

M
  • Options
    kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    Am I the only one who thinks this is putting the cart in front of the horse? First you have to develop traffic that advertisers would want to target. That takes content. Lots of content to draw visitors consistently.
    Even with traffic, there`s no real way to know what to charge. It`s what the market will bear. How do you know what that is? You don`t. All you can do is set rates and see if people buy ad space. In my case, I was blogging for two years before I took ads. I decided to do it because people kept asking to advertise. Some who`ve expressed interest in advertising say I charge too much but I suppose that`s relative. I haven`t lost any advertisers and when I finally get around to revamping my site, will add those who`ve been wanting to be added for awhile now.
  • Options
    LeeAnnLeeAnn subscriber Posts: 0
    Kathaleen - I am wondering if you could give me some feedback on a website that I started for church secretaries.  Do you have any suggestion on how I can build traffic to my website? 
  • Options
    DanielAuitoDanielAuito subscriber Posts: 0
    We just launched about 3 months ago and are finding that we can and do get about half of the price listed for each of these spots on our website:  http://www.thecitruscountyclassifieds.c ... -ghost.jpg  Currently we are getting 15,000 unique visitors a month and are gaining 2000 more per month on current averages. We`re still adding features and gaining Google and Yahoo rankings so the future looks bright for incrementally increasing rates as we become more and more established. P.S. We`re also licensing these sites if anyone is interested in running their own operation in their location:
    Running your own website:http://www.thecitruscountyclassifieds.c ... r-prop.doc Initial contract:http://www.thecitruscountyclassifieds.c ... icense.doc
  • Options
    kathleenfasanellakathleenfasanella subscriber Posts: 0
    Kathaleen - I am wondering if you could give me some feedback on a website that I started for church secretaries.  Do you have any suggestion on how I can build traffic to my website?
    We recently had an extended thread going here.
  • Options
    esilvaesilva subscriber Posts: 4
    This is all seriously fantastic information! I have a question though. What`s a good guideline in terms of actual pricing for advertisers advertising on your site? Let`s say I`m just starting the site and have some good visitors. At the same time I don`t wanna get under priced either but don`t know the difference. What`s the normal starting out pricing for small sites all the way to big massive sites? Is there any information out there that says what the average is for small, medium, and large sites?
    Thanks for any responses I appreciate it!
    -Eric
  • Options
    sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    This is all seriously fantastic information! I have a question though. What`s a good guideline in terms of actual pricing for advertisers advertising on your site? Let`s say I`m just starting the site and have some good visitors. At the same time I don`t wanna get under priced either but don`t know the difference. What`s the normal starting out pricing for small sites all the way to big massive sites? Is there any information out there that says what the average is for small, medium, and large sites?
    Thanks for any responses I appreciate it!
    -Eric

Off the top of my head, it depends on how big your site is, the type/quality of the content, how much space you are going to set aside for Ads, and how you make the site attractive for potential advertisers (like a media kit).   I know there`s more but I`m drawing a blank right now.
  • Options
    sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member

However, if a site advertises 2 million hits and 1.5 million unique visitors they would jump all over that statistic and purchase advertising.

What if a site is a community site that has a lot of consistent visits from recurring visitors/members?  i.e. fewer unique visitors but more "regulars" within a niche demographic who spend 1 hr or more on the site everyday or every other day, would advertisers find it very valuable? 
    Which one seems more valuable to them?  A site that has 1.5 mil unique visitors from all walks of life or a site that has 500k users from a niche demographic (i.e. gamers, entrepreneurs) that are regulars on the site? 

So are you talking total forum membership numbers as opposed to unique visitors?  If so, use what ever statistic that you would think will be attractive to potential advertisers.  If you indeed have over 500k forum members you may also want to add posts per day, visitors per day, etc.
  • Options
    Ziyapathan0143Ziyapathan0143 subscriber Posts: 150 Silver Level Member
    You can charge X dollars every month, per promotion, with X being equivalent to your day by day guests tally partitioned by ten. So on the off chance that you get 500 guests for every day, you can hope to make $50 per flag advertisement. There are many conditions that can change this computation. but I've profited utilizing this strategy since the mid 2000s. It began off as a stream – my first promotion deal was immediate to an independent venture for $50 a month for one pennant on my card diversion site. Starting now and into the foreseeable future I've developed my pay from direct advertisement deals to the point that I've made as much as $5,000 a month from it, and in any event $1,000 a month from direct promotion deals for a long time straight.
  • Options
    sinGNsinGN subscriber Posts: 116 Silver Level Member
    Hi,
    there are so many free advertising sites. you can advertise through free sites without paying.