WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

For Everyone Wondering What They Should Do

2»

Comments

• Options
    zerolimitschampzerolimitschamp subscriber Posts: 0
    Thanks Chris - I appreciate the clarity you offer and absolutely accept in the converational contexts meant.
    I recognize that I can be a bit prolic in writing my opinion...sorry..but I do appreciate that you are clearly aware of the metaphysical et-al as it relates (or not) to this topic.

I am familiar with social biology although not intimately.  I `get` the idea, but am not sure I have a valid opinion.

If `Group Consciuousness` is analogous to what some describe as a `shared consciousness` then I do have some very definite opinions, although I hesitate to try to convey them in a blog/forum in the interest of brevity.

I think I would probably contend that to the extent that these princples are useful for people in helping them enjoy the lives they truly desire then at least in that context they are `true`.

In a more practical sense, it has been my experience that there is an important distinction between accomplishments and results as they relate to success.  This distinction occurs on the ground of commitment.

In short:  I can work hard and accumulate extraordinary results...like build a business that makes me a lot of money, and still end up feeling un-accomplished and un-successful in life.  That is, I experience no success.

This is because accomplishment does not occure in the result..

Instead it occurs in the commitment (purpose)

So, if I work hard and accumulate extraordinary results...like build a business that makes me a lot of money to be used in service of my commitment to "make others lives better" for instance, then the results, in a sense, inherit the commitment and I end up feeling accomplished and successful.....that it I experience success.

This is the reason I contend that in order to experince success in anything, you need to know what your committed purpose is, first.

Does that clarify?

Thank you again for the discourse.  I enjoy it.  =0))

Steve

PS - Chuck - I absolutely agree that "the what to do` part is only half the battle. The other half is putting it into action."  The distinction I draw is that, if you have chosen the what to do such that it is in service of your committed purpose, then the experience of accomplishment and success occur all along the way in a manner that seems effortless and not dependent on the achievement of some predetermined (even arbitrary) success (financial?) threshold.

I mean if you could live your life in ecstatic abundance and joy making $100,000 a year but had set a success goal of $200,000 per year when you started, what is your success experience at the $100,000 level?

zerolimitschamp7/1/2008 7:24 PM
  • Options
    mtkeistermtkeister subscriber Posts: 0
    I`ve been working on correcting destructive and self-limiting patterns of thought within myself for a couple years now - with great success.  Once I discovered the be-do-have principle of transformation there was no turning back.  A great little book that helped me open the doors to my subconscious mind and realize the power that lies beneath the surface is "The Master Key System" by Charles Haanel:
    http://www.masterkeysystem.com
    Another area that I stumbled on involves the ubiquitous presence in western culture of the pattern of thought that is logical and linear and how this type of thinking inhibits growth of the mind and new discovery.  Most people are trapped in this way of thinking most of the time and this e-book really is a fresh perspective that I`ve found interesting and useful.  It`s called "cvs2bvs: software for your brain" by Michael Hewitt-Gleeson:
    http://www.schoolofthinking.org/about/c ... n-software
    I can affirm what everyone here is saying: stay positive, plan ahead, define clear and realistic goals, take baby steps, don`t be afraid to make course corrections, and don`t be afraid to fail. Persist day in and day out and you will move down the path that you choose.
    Michael Keister
    mtkeister@freeeagles.com
  • Options
    Awesome posts Michael and Craig.
    Thanks for the resources Michael.
    Craig - I am afraid to look at my `T`s  LOL =0))
    Steve
  • Options
    proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1

PS - Chuck - I absolutely agree that "the what to do` part is only half the battle. The other half is putting it into action."  The distinction I draw is that, if you have chosen the what to do such that it is in service of your committed purpose, then the experience of accomplishment and success occur all along the way in a manner that seems effortless and not dependent on the achievement of some predetermined (even arbitrary) success (financial?) threshold. I mean if you could live your life in ecstatic abundance and joy making $100,000 a year but had set a success goal of $200,000 per year when you started, what is your success experience at the $100,000 level? 
     Rarely being satisfied with 50%, I`d have to say these `half battles` we fight are truly uphill battles -- NEVER easy but ALWAYS worth it.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Chuck,

Would you agree that, using the example I have proposed, that if I am doing what i love, then the experience of success at 100k, while not the same as it would be at 200k, is also not half of the experience at 200k.  That is, the success experience is not derived from the money, but instead from how the money contributes to your accomplishment of purpose.

the notion that success is hard work and sacrifice is the notion I object to.  In my 38 years of entrepreneurial success, I have found the exact opposite to be true.  The experience of hard work and sacrifice reduced the experience of success.  While doing what I loved not only provided an `unreduced` experience of success (in other words I got the money or whatever I was seeking), but also allowed me to have that experience without stuggle, strain, and sacrifice.

Do you see it differently?

Steve
  • Options
    proactive1proactive1 subscriber Posts: 1
    Steve,

In my business life, I`ve always subscribed to the "Do What You Love and the Money Will Follow" concepts that I first discovered (probably 20 years ago) in the book by the same name. Yes, I agree with your example and might add that giving your business life purpose over and above monetary gain can be a healthy advantage -- and one that may indeed shed positive influence on those you come in contact with; especially your customers.