WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

starting a small electronics import business

fireflysixfireflysix subscriber Posts: 1
edited September 2007 in Business Planning
Hi everyone,I`m new here. I`ve been wanting to start my own business for quite sometime now and I think I might have finally found an area that I`m both passionate and knowledgeable in. I`m a big gadget freak, and love all kinds of gadgets and electronics and I`ve found that people like me are willing to pay for unique products that are not yet available in their own countries and I also know which technologies and gadgets are in demand.I`m planning to start it small, possibly small shipments using DHL and sell it on eBay. I have 3 questions:1) How do I find out about additional costs that I might have to incur such as import tax or tariffs?2) What kind of paperworks do I have to worry about, or will it all be taken care of by DHL?3) How do I find out I`m not breaking any law by importing/exporting a product? for example a local distributor might have exclusive right to import a certain product, or it`s illegal to export to a certain country due to trade sanctions. Where do I get that information?Any other thoughts and advice are very welcome.I`ve found this forum to be very helpful and hope that I can launch my business with help from all of you. I promise to give back by sharing my own experiences. Thanks in advance!-Dean ABoston, MA
fireflysix2007-9-21 14:12:42