WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

basic question about trademark law

puchsiapopuchsiapo subscriber Posts: 1
edited January 2009 in Protecting Your Ideas
hi all,
i am new here. i have started a small product development & manufacture 
company and i have an important IP question.
my main product line features horticultural goods for sale to home 
gardeners. two of the items that i wish to sell are substrates used for 
rooting plants. both are existing trademarked products with somewhat 
different original intended applications: one is used as a soil amendment 
on athletic fields. i had planned to repackage them in smaller bags, then 
rebrand as my product line. the other company`s brand won`t appear 
anywhere on the packaging and i will not be altering the materials in any other way.
does this sound OK? do I need any kind of licensing agreement with the 
other company`s? i already asked my attorney, who was of the opinion that this is legal. what do you think?
thanks,
-puchisapo
puchsiapo1/10/2009 2:55 PM

Comments

• puchsiapopuchsiapo subscriber Posts: 1
    thanks! it sounds as though my situation is somewhat different in that i wasn`t planning on entering any kind of negotiation with the third party manufacturer. in fact, i would rather avoid it because i have arrangements with several other manufacturers already. 
    that is a pretty cool product. i have done several conversions of lawn into vegetable and flower gardens and it can really be a lot of work to undo a tough sod. plus, i`m no fan of lawns, especially big, expansive lawns, so i think anything that can turn a lawn into something else is a good idea.thanks again Eric. i would like to hear any other suggestions that anybody else might have. are there any lawyers out there?-Devin
  • patentandtrademarkpatentandtrademark subscriber Posts: 103
    Have the lawyer put the opinion in writing and explain the opinion. By analogy, I’m not so sure you can buy a pair of LEVI brand jeans, tear off the tag, sew on your own tag, resell the “new” jeans, and be immune from trademark infringement.  Hire [read "pay"] somebody that knows trademark law.

• puchsiapopuchsiapo subscriber Posts: 1
    yep, i am now planning to just approach the other company. there is also a question of a MSDS associated with their product, which i will also probably have to provide. thanks very much for the feedback.
    -D