WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Advice on hiring a copywriter

blogjunkieblogjunkie subscriber Posts: 3
edited September 2007 in Marketing
Hi everyone,

I`m considering hiring a copywriter to write an 8-part autoresponder
email series (400 words each, 3200 words total). Can you guys please tell
me what I should expect to pay?

Also, could you please recommend some good copywriters you know?
Thanks!

-blogjunkie

P.S. Admin: I`m not sure if this is the right place for this topic so please
move it if its not.

Comments

• Options
    DaleKingDaleKing subscriber Posts: 141
    $800?I would look at the past work of people - request that they send you writing samples. I usually find most of mine through the gigs on Craigslist, and sending a resume and cover letter with writing samples is pretty typical.
    $800? No copywriter worth his or her salt would do that job for less than $2,000. I certainly wouldn`t. Try http://elance.com</A>. They have a lot of copywriters just starting out who will work for peanuts. Just remember one thing... you get what you pay for...caveat emptor!
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-10 18:16:25
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    An excellent resource for finding writers is AboutFreelanceWriting.com- J.
  • Options
    $1.60 a word?
    Copywriters don`t charge by the word, they charge by project.  In fact, I just completed a project for a company that publishes Sudoku Puzzle instructional e-books. I charged them $4000 for a salesletter, and they were happy to pay it. In fact, they were so satisfied with the results of the first salesletter, they already have additional products they want me to write salesletters for.
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-11 8:17:44
  • Options
    blogjunkieblogjunkie subscriber Posts: 3
    Hi guys, been away from my computer for a few days and whoah has there
    been lots of great discussion!

DKing, if you can charge those kind of prices you must be bad a$$. If I land
    a client with that kind of budget I`ll be sure to contact you. In the meantime,
    I`ll check out all your suggestions above.

Thanks!
  • Options
    DKing, if you can charge those kind of prices you must be bad a$$. If I land a client with that kind of budget I`ll be sure to contact you. In the meantime, I`ll check out all your suggestions above. Thanks!
    You`re quite welcome. The fees I charge are actually on the low end of the scale. Copywriting legends like Bob Bly, Clayton Makepeace and John Carlton charge up to $25,000 for a single salesletter - plus a percentage of the profits. But their clients are Fortune 100 companies. My clients are small business owners.
    Dale KingDKing2007-9-12 18:28:1