WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

What Logo Design Service Do You Use?

DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
edited April 2009 in Marketing
I`m doing important research on logo design services for a special project I`m involved with, and I have a few questions for the members of SuN:

1. What logo design service do you use, and how would you rate them?

2. Do you believe a customed designed logo is worth the investment?

3. Have you ever made a logo with logo design software? Were you happy with the results?

As I mentioned earlier, I`m involved with a special project, which could result in a lot of free publicity for select logo design services.

I look forward to your feedback on these questions.

David Jackson
DavidJackson4/17/2009 1:48 PM

Comments

• BizOptimizerBizOptimizer subscriber Posts: 1
    I used one of the first online ones years ago - very satisfied with the results.  I saw a post recently that suggested using one of the guru, sologig, bizreef sites to allow graphic companies to bid costs/concepts.  That seemed like a good idea?

I may be headed down that road again soon, so I`ll be watching your answers.  Thanks.
  • DavidJacksonDavidJackson subscriber Posts: 143 Silver Level Member
    I used one of the first online ones years ago - very satisfied with the results. 

Thanks for your response, Ed. Do you remember which online service you used?

David Jackson
  • 4Founders4Founders subscriber Posts: 0
    I would suggest getting a freelancer to design a logo for you.  There are so many graphic designers around the world flooding the market with logo services that you could a very professional one made for an incredibly low price ($50-100).
    Post the job on Elance and you`ll have multiple bids within 36 hours.  Most companies bidding will have a portfolio of previous logos designed that you can peruse through before selecting a winner. 
    I`d recommend finding a few other existing logos that you think are extremely well designed and capture the general look and feel that you`re after.  These comparables will help guide the graphic designers work and make sure you get what you want.
    I would suggest getting a freelancer to design a logo for you. 

Thanks, but I`m not looking for a logo. I`m conducting research to help small business owners who don`t know who to turn to.

David Jackson
    DavidJackson4/17/2009 2:35 PM
  • BizOptimizerBizOptimizer subscriber Posts: 1

Do you remember which online service you used?   This was back in 2002 - don`t know if it is the same company anymore, but from my contacts - logo-design-logo-design.com. Hope this helps,Ed
    This was back in 2002 - don`t know if it is the same company anymore, but from my contacts - logo-design-logo-design.com.

Yep, that helps. Thanks!

David Jackson
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I`ve tried a couple of different ones (for two different websites)... I used one design.
    I have also used the online logo makers... mostly to get a few ideas and play around with layouts. In the end I usually create logos for my clients that want them.

Logo designer I`ve tried: logonerds.com I can not remember the other one I used.

Online logo makers: instalogo.com  logoyes.com   logomaker.com
    vwebworld4/17/2009 3:50 PM

I`ve tried a couple of different ones (for two different websites)... I used one design.I have also used the online logo makers... mostly to get a few ideas and play around with layouts. In the end I usually create logos for my clients that want them. Logo designer I`ve tried: logonerds.com I can not remember the other one I used. Online logo makers: instalogo.com  logoyes.com   logomaker.com     Roland, thank you! This is helpful information.  David Jackson
    Good feedback, so far. Thanks, everyone!

I`m surprised there aren`t any graphic designers touting the advantages of a custom designed logo. Most of them hate those low-cost logo design services.

David Jackson
  • vwebworldvwebworld subscriber Posts: 40
    I think a custom designed logo is the way to go... but, you do get what you pay for... so for me (going cheap) I got logo designs that weren`t that good.

Plus - similar to web design - to get a good result there should be a dialog between the designer and the client. I know what I want ( or maybe what I don`t want), but unless I talk with the designer  - that knowledge stays with me.

I think a custom designed logo is the way to go... but, you do get what you pay for... so for me (going cheap) I got logo designs that weren`t that good.
     Plus - similar to web design - to get a good result there should be a dialog between the designer and the client. I know what I want ( or maybe what I don`t want), but unless I talk with the designer  - that knowledge stays with me.    All good points. David Jackson
    A great one is CrowdSpring.
    You post the project. The community of designers does logos and you rate ones you like, give feedback, etc ... and then in the end, you select one and they get paid.

This is fantastic information! Thanks, Shawn!

David Jackson
  • LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15

I`m surprised there aren`t any graphic designers touting the advantages of a custom designed logo. Most of them hate those low-cost logo design services. 

I`m not really surprised at all that more professional graphic designers have responded to your specific questions.  The consumer seeking a logo design from online services such as those mentioned in other posts are not my target market at all - and probably not the clientele being sought by most design educated, experienced creatives. Most businesses seeking an identity through such services are most likely going to select an online logo design service based on one thing: Price.
    While a business can occasionally get a well-design, creative, effective logo through such services, they buyer should proceed with caution.  The may get EXACTLY what they have paid for in attempting to get the least expensive logo possible.  Some things to consider:
    1. What types of digital files are you getting for the fee paid?  Is the final product - or final digital file(s) provided - going to work for all your online, traditional printing and other needs such as the creation of banners, vehicle advertising and signage.  I know of many situations where a graphic designer (including myself) has been hired to re-create such logos so the business in question can fully make use of the image.
    2. Is the finished logo from an online service unique to your business or industry? Some online logo services have been known to "recycle" designs purchased previously by other companies.  A client once came to me to create a new custom logo for his business after discovering a business in the same industry, within the local metropolitan area, using the exact same graphic to represent the company. They had both used the same online logo design service.
    3. By using an online logo design service, is a business getting a truly original logo?  In recent years, within the graphic design industry, many situations have come to light of logo designs created through online logo design services, logo contest sites, or websites offering logo designs for sale being plagiarized from the work of others or blatantly ripped off.  In several cases my own work has been offered for sale by online logo companies, or submitted as "logo contest" entries by "designers" who never imagined they might get caught. In one well-documented past example, a site was selling the work of several designer friends of mine - they were even offering the pixelated "X" once used, and still trademarked, by Xerox for sale. More recently there have been discoveries of "designers" inappropriately (and illegally) using stock art graphics in logo designs then offered for sale through online resources.  With bad economy, some "designers" desperate to earn income, the ease of ripping off designs online and other elements coming into play, I assume even more such problems will arise in the future.
    I guess my primary advice to any business seeking a logo - through online sources or created by a more traditional graphic designers - is: Buyer beware!  Do your research (through Google and other resources).  Ask for testimonials from satisfied customers. Check out the designer or firm`s portfolio to find a design resource that may be a match for you personally and your business.  Determine what you actually need as a final product from a logo design resource.  A logo/identity is an investment in the future success of your business and will be one of your most visible marketing tools.
     My working relationship with a client usually goes far beyond creating a logo, presenting them a digital file or two and then moving on to the next project (and I have some clients I have now worked with for nearly 20 years).  So often, in creating a business identity, that personal one-on-one relationship between designer and client will be the most important element for a successful and efficient end result. I will often go to great lengths to customize a logo for a client by incorporating a graphic element into the text, rather than just slapping an icon up next to the name of the business. Once a logo is created, my work often just begins as I will assist my client in establishing a complete brand through the creation of a stationery package, signage, advertising, marketing and promotion pieces, and the public/internal persona of the company.  Personally, I have been designing identities for clients online for over a decade now.  It can sometimes be a challenging situation for both designer and client.  There have been a few "speed bumps" along the way at times.  Most have been very successful efforts with happy clients as a result.
    Getting back to the original quote to which I am responding:  Most professional graphic designers don`t "hate those low-cost logo design services;" they just have a better understanding of what may be at stake for the average business consumer of such services.
    I wish any business, seeking a manner in which to have their logo created, the best of success in establishing the graphic identity for their venture.
    I guess my primary advice to any business seeking a logo - through online sources or created by a more traditional graphic designers - is: Buyer beware!  Do your research (through Google and other resources).  Ask for testimonials from satisfied customers. Check out the designer or firm`s portfolio to find a design resource that may be a match for you personally and your business. 

Sage advice, thank you!

David jackson
    Ashley and Heather, thank you for your contributions to this thread!

David Jackson