WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

City Portal Marketing

CorydatCorydat subscriber Posts: 2
edited February 2009 in Marketing
   I have recently been looking into starting a city portal website for
my local community/town.  Is there anyone out there with any kind of
experience in this type of website design and composition?  I`ve been
looking into website templates and domain names.  I have enough
knowledge on website optimization that i should be able to bring some
people to my site. I just have a couple gaps that need information
filling:
Once traffic and content are optimized how does one attract businesses to advertise on your site?
Opinions on website templates vs web designers?
Any feed back of any kind would be much appreciated.Corydat5/21/2008 2:51 PM

Comments

• Options
    Thank you Cartess that is the kind if info I need to hear.  Greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    that helps tremendously.  much needed info once again.. I plan on kicking this site off soon..Anyone else with advice or comments are welcomed...
  • Options
    DanielAuitoDanielAuito subscriber Posts: 0
    Cory, funny you should bring this up. I`ve just completed building a local classifieds website that does exactly what you`re talking about here. (By the way guys great advice above!) Networking is very big, joining local networking groups, the chamber of commerce, rotary and the like have worked well for us.
    We`ve had our site live for the last three months and things are going great! We`re now offering copies of the platform to other people who would like to operate similar operations in their locations.

Feel free to have a look at the site I`ve built here: http://www.CitrusCountyClassifieds.com and if it is of interest then read further here:

Running your own website:

http://www.thecitruscountyclassifieds.c ... r-prop.doc

Initial contract:

http://www.thecitruscountyclassifieds.c ... icense.doc

We`re looking to syndicate eventually to get larger advertisers using a network of sites in many of the 3141 counties around the U.S. Dream big Cory and best of luck! LOL
  • Options
    sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I was considering on starting one myself but the most difficult challenge I ran into wasn`t a technical  reason.  The main challenge I ran into is finding a domain name that worked for what I was doing and wasn`t taken or didn`t cost more than four or five figures.sddreamweavers6/15/2008 2:29 AM
  • Options
    I`m  on my way. I`ve been building communities hoping to turn them into traffic in the future.. Thanks to everyone for your advice..Corydat7/18/2008 9:44 AM
  • Options
    lucky1lucky1 subscriber Posts: 0
    I worked for a community website in sales and marketing for Southeastern Michigan.  There are many ways to attract business and several good ways have already been listed. There are also many competitors in most markets. Many of the publications that businesses are familiar with advertising in also have websites now. The key is how you get people to go to the site and translate it into new business for your clients. Email me if you are interested in learning more and discussing your plans. Thanks, Alicia
  • Options
    cityusacityusa subscriber Posts: 1
    You can lease a website like HelloNorthshore.com for $38 a month.cityusa3/15/2009 8:25 PM