WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Dress Codes/ Sales vs Delivery

ContinentalPrintingSuppliesContinentalPrintingSupplies subscriber Posts: 7
edited May 2006 in Sales
SuN Community I would like your opinion on several things, but one thing at a time.
When you go to introduce your company to other companies, we all agree that we must wear our Sunday best.  But, once you land the sales and it`s time to deliver the products, what do you wear then??
IE: I sell office supplies and box customers orders for delivery.  Sometimes I even carry in cases of paper.  Now, when UPS or FedEx or DSL makes deliveries, they wear their company uniform.  I do not have a company uniform, (we did sponsor a baseball team one year, so I have t-shirts with a company logo, but not a uniform, so to speak) so my question is . . . do I continue on with my sunday best, or use a company t-shirt and jeans, or just dress casual (somewhere in between)??
Does my appearance, when making deliveries, effect my professional image??  I mean, I know it does to some aspect, but to what degree??
Really could use some professional input on this and several other matters.  Please watch for other posts.  Thanks so much!!

Comments

• Options
    Thank you jonese,
    I really appreciate your input.  I have actually thought of the idea of polo shirts. 
    I have two obstacles, and maybe you can help:  1st, I am THE only delivery guy, except when my kids help (16, and 10).  2nd, polo shirts are still a TAD bit out of my price range, hence the idea of the baseball printed t-shirts.  We all have one.  The kids have the player number and name on the back, I have one just the same, and one that says `owner` on the back.  Hubby`s says `coach`.  Obviously, these do not really go with any pant other than jeans, being a t-shirt and all.
    So, all that being said, should I make the investment to go with polo`s and `work` pants or khaki`s??  Or do the t-shirts and jeans work without looking lame, and ruining my business image??
    Thanks again!
  • Options
    TJG,
    I ask this of professional people, because I have asked several other people, and received several other replies, such as `you should wear whatever you are comfortable in`, and `wear whatever you like`.  I am aware of what you are saying, but do not choose to be slammed simply because I have asked a group of professional people.  I would expect this kind of reply from Yahoo Answers, but was hoping for more support from more professional people.
    Thanks for the terrible rating.  I will choose not to behave likewise.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    jonese,
    thank you.  your input is very important.  i have debated this idea for a while and as i posted have received several different opinions, some favorable and as you can see some unfavorable.
    thanks again!!

• Options
    TJG
    not sure i`m following your irony, so it must be a girl thing.  however, not being able to get advice outside of my teenager may make me a bit sensitive, and yes, i will agree that i may very well be a bit too sensitive.
    i started my business actually by accident, and finding it difficult to work under someone else telling me what to do. 
    i have NEVER had any sales training or much more than basic accounting classes in high school.  i have taken a few online quizzes and found that i do have an entreprenueral attitude.  I have taken my business from $50 revenue for my first few months to last years revenues of over $70,000.  for an unlearned, fly by the seat of your pants sole proprietor, i think i`ve done pretty good.  but now i am at the point that i would like to go further and would like to know what are the best ways to do this.
    i am certainly hoping that you are not telling me i can`t wear my stiletto`s out to dinner because they are too sexy for business attire, in case i would run into a prospective customer.
    personally, i felt that i should maintain a professional appearance even in making deliveries.  my main question was simply `can i wear a company-named baseball t-shirt and nice jeans, still looking nice, to make deliveries, or is it too casual?  should i make a uniform or keep wearing my sunday best?`  i don`t feel it was a difficult question.
    my feeling your attack as personal, simply comes with the thought of asking if i were joking.  no, i do not want anyone to feel i am joking.  i am asking a group of self professed professionals to guide and direct.  i can get you to this point, but how do i go further, what is expected of me, NOW??
  • Options
    keyconkeycon subscriber Posts: 34
    Got to agree with Wilfred here - "Go big, or go home."
    Now, saying that, "go big" in Puduka, KY might not be the same "go big" in Chicago, IL. None the less, I believe in looking sharp and professional at all times. But look at UPS, they were the first I ever saw in a big corp that allowed their drivers and staff to wear shorts (at least they do down south) - but they did it where it looked good (I guess that depends on whose legs are in the shorts and who is looking Who would have ever thought a big corp would allow shorts in public?
    But a Callaway or other top-line golf shirt is not that pricey - even embroidered. Besides, you have to wear something to work. It is either your own clothes or the "uniform" - so why miss an opportunity to market your company with branded clothing that shouts your company name and what it represents?
    It ain`t brain surgery, folks.
    R@
  • Options
    well,
    it seems that my matching t-shirt idea was a bust.  we all agree, now, that i need to get polo shirts and khaki`s and make a uniform for deliveries.  is this better than dress clothes or an acceptable alternative??  sneaks, or `work shoes`??
    where can i go to get really nice looking embroidered polos??  national pen??  or can someone tell me of their personal experience pro or con with them??  should i find someone local to provide the shirt and the embroidery, or can i get the shirt and have them do the work?
    as for the khaki`s - that, i have under control.  thanks!!