WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Mailing Lists

conciergeladyconciergelady subscriber Posts: 4
edited September 2006 in Marketing
I am interested in getting a mailing list for a certain area in my town.  I read that you can rent or buy lists from " list brokers".  Does anyone have any experience with buying mailing lists? What is the cost? I don`t know how you could rent one since one you have it in your hands all you have to do is make a copy of it. Can someone shed light on that?  I am only interested in a few blocks in one particular neighborhood and if these lists are costly I probably would do without it.Thanks !

Comments

• NicoleCNicoleC subscriber Posts: 18
    Depending on who your audience is you might not have to go through a list broker.  For example my target market is people who own property and those who would like to own property.  To start my direct mail campaign, I went to the tax assessors office and purchased a disk with the entire community`s property addresses.  The cost was around $50. 
    I wonder if the United States Postal Office`s direct mail website would have the specific answers your looking for?  Their website is:
      e=directmail

• conciergeladyconciergelady subscriber Posts: 4
    Depending on who your audience is you might not have to go through a list broker.  For example my target market is people who own property and those who would like to own property.  To start my direct mail campaign, I went to the tax assessors office and purchased a disk with the entire community`s property addresses.  The cost was around $50. 
    I wonder if the United States Postal Office`s direct mail website would have the specific answers your looking for?  Their website is:
     http://www.usps.com/directmail/welcome. ... m=home&pag
     Thanks Nicole, I will call the tax assessors office on Monday and ask if they have a disc.Thanks too for the usps link I was looking at it last night and that is where they mentioned list brokers. Nicole, would you know how I could find out about house sales besides the MLS?  I know they list them in the paper but I dont know how long after the sale.  I wanted to market to home sellers and new home owners.  I know they would have this in the property tax office and also online but I really wanted to find out and not have to wait weeks or months for records to be updated. Even though I figure its only in the Mls? conciergelady2006-9-15 22:44:9
    Other then the MLS, in Michigan, when a home is sold the new owners have 30 days to apply for a homestead tax rate.  They do this by taking the form they received at closing and having it filed with the local tax assessor`s office. Therefore the tax assessor`s office is one place to check.  The other place to obtain public records would be from the County Clerk`s Registar of Deeds office. 
    I don`t know if this will help but here is what someone did to catch my business referrals:  he stopped in the office on a tuesday morning when he knew most real estate agencies in our area have staff meetings & realtor tours.  He brought a traditional flyer/brochure, his business cards and met as many people as possible within a 10 minute window.  He was extremely respectful and his cold call strategy occured quickly. His only objective was to introduce his face and name to the agents.  The building of the relationship came later.  He followed up with a unique marketing idea:  he took a wedding favor bag and put a heavy weight, professionally printed card, 2 peices of dove chocolate, a business card and coupons inside the bag.  The inside of the card read "Personally, I prefer referrals.  Enclosed are coupons for $300 savings on mortgage closing costs at XYZ.  Please pass them along to your clients.  Read inside for information on new programs that can help you sell more houses." When the card was unfolded it was a flyer with mortgage service information, contact information, etc.  I was impressed with his marketing promotion enough that I actually read his material.  Then I researched the services he offered, their rates/fees and how customers were treated. I discovered his customers were glad they used him.  His unique marketing, quality services, reputable organization and his focus on customer service interactions was above par.   The reason I am sharing this, is because you could do something similiar as a catalyst for lead generations instead of spending your time and energy toward collecting mailing addresses from public record searches which then have to be cultivated by direct mails/cold calls.    
    Wow, thats a lot of information Nicole - thank you so much !That is why I love Startup Nation - so much expert advice is given for free just to help out others.  I am definitely going to use this piece of marketing and make up my own goodie bags for the realtors in my area.  There are quite a few realtors here so I may be busy for a while......Thanks again 
    Thank you, you just made my day!
    Good I am glad!...only wish I had some tips for you too..
    That is so sweet!  Thank you!  Presently the marketing area I am seeking feedback on is what real estate related issues/topics would people who are thinking about selling or considering purchasing what to know more about in a podcast.  
    Based on common real estate questions, I could compose a podcast but I am seeking a broader track. Rather then compose what I think would be of use I would prefer composing the content around a specific consumer stated interest.  As doing so could reveal if the topic could be expanded into a collaboration with others who provide non-real estate services.  Services that could answer the portions that are outside my scope.  For example, if a relocation client didn`t have a history or familiarity with the area then they might enjoy a audio or visual podcast that provides community history, cultural attractions (theathers/museums/etc), neighborhood services (landscaping), etc.  However, unless providing dry and matter of fact information on location or speaking as a patron, I would be out of my scope in trying to share information on the local theater groups.  Whereas as in a collaboration, a theater group might be able to provide an audio clip which could be incorporated in the overall project.
    Despite my ramblings the point is it all starts with an idea, and unless there are applicable statute regulations, the boundaries are for the most part self-imposed.
    Nicole, I think that is a good comprehensive marketing plan you have there.  I am in the errand/concierge industry (just getting started) but I have been researching and getting everything together now since last September. I belong to a concierge network group and every day I research and hear more about what is being done in this new industry.  Which is all about helping people save time and stress in their lives enabling them to focus on family and a better life style.  I`m saying this because the outside services you are speaking of can be provided by concierge services and are being done so all the time.  I also plan to market realtors in my area (that I why I was glad that you told me before about that man that made up those goodie bags for the realtors). When I sold my townhouse last year I tried doing it myself at first. I made up "fact sheets", demographics on schools, the community, things to do, stores, houses of worship, really anything of interest that I could think of.  There is a lot to do here where I live since its the shore area and a lot of people move here from New York who needs these services. But as I was saying there are concierge groups around the country that do cross promoting.  Many are aware of activities and local events because that is part of their job which includes relocating services. If you are interested in collaborating with a concierge service maybe I can help. I can see who would be the closest to you.  Maybe something could be worked out between you and the concierge such as cross marketing/advertising. I know many conciergeslook to work with realtors and don`t know how to approach them.  If you`re interested just let me know....thanks
    Conciergelady: Have you cross promoted before?  Regarding selling FSBO`s (For Sale By Owner), only a small percentage end up selling their own homes but hats off to anyone willing to try!  (Statistically over 85% of FSBO`s will eventually list with an agent. The next largest % is those who deceide not to sell at all.  Followed by an even smaller % of those who sell on their own.)  Also, I enjoy networking so by all means feel free to email me with Ann Arbor, MI area concierge services.
    JillyBeans: This might not be the technical definition but I consider a podcast to be an audio or video clipping which people can watch/listen to.  Thank you for sharing what you would be interested in.  It is helpful! You make a good point about knowing about shopping (Costco, Sam`s Club).   
    I probably won`t do a podcast on crime, school reputations or religious institutions.  Not because it is not of interest to people but because depending on what is provided and how it is provided it could be an invitation to a Fair Housing complaint.  Especially since crime, school reputations and religious instutions could directly or indirectly steer people to specific neighborhoods,  risk segregrating people based on relgious or ethnicity, or be used to directly or indirectly discriminate, that is why it is wise for a real estate agent not to provide that information. Instead it is better for a real estate agent to offer a person a list of schools within a specific area and provide contact information for their board members and principals.  Then the individual can ask the school directly about the school`s goals, vision, sports, programs and academic benchmarking.  Regarding crime, the local police department would be the best place to provide or direct a person to crime data.  They can also explain the registration of sexual preditors and what portion(s) of that registration is available for public viewing.  After all, Fair Housing isn`t an option, it is a law.
    Before you embark on any kind of mailing campaign, define the characteristics of the people you`re trying to reach. Take the time to create an Ideal Customer Profile (ICP).I was looking at your website and it sounds very interesting, I signed up for the 6 day course in websites....Cant wait to see it. conciergelady2006-9-19 21:7:1
    Thanks Postcarder for your article. I need to get onboard with mailing lists I havent done any  marketing at all yet besides flyers for the senior paper by me. I probably will go and get the mailing lists from my town. I have to provide the block and lot numbers first which I will get from the tax assessor.  They charge a penny a name but of course I dont know how many names I will need but a penny sounds great  
    Conciergelady: Have you cross promoted before?  Regarding selling FSBO`s (For Sale By Owner), only a small percentage end up selling their own homes but hats off to anyone willing to try!  (Statistically over 85% of FSBO`s will eventually list with an agent. The next largest % is those who deceide not to sell at all.  Followed by an even smaller % of those who sell on their own.)  Also, I enjoy networking so by all means feel free to email me with Ann Arbor, MI area concierge services.Nicole....I did try to sell my townhome, it would have been silly not to even try since I was home and not working anyway at the time. I did a lot of research first with books and online so I would at least know the basics.  The problem that I ran into was: what do you do after a buyer likes your home? One buyer asked me" what do we do now?" ...I said you talk it over with your wife and then come ba ck with  a price which he never did. Maybe he found something he liked better. I think it is kind of hard without the 3rd party there which is the realtor. I did eventually go through a realtor and I did sell it.I put out a message on my errand/concierge board for anyone interested in cross networking.  If someone comes back to me showing interest I will send them your way.   Yes I do cross networking now. I have a vendor list with 3 names - just starting. But my handyman/roofer and entreprenaur has his own list which he has given to me but I havent worked on them yet. So far I have a computer technician, 2 secretarial/computer businesses and of course my handyman.Thanks