WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Manufacturing startup could go a few directions for investment

alextexmexalextexmex subscriber Posts: 1 Member

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to open a manufacturing business within an industry that I have worked for 12 years. My industry is rapidly changing, with the two top manufacturers seriously deteriorating with quality and reliability issues. I manufacture a product that is crucial to a consumer good. The US sales of that consumer good are increasing by 10% yoy. I also have great relationships with executives of top goods producers who could purchase my product.

All of the stars are aligning and I feel like this is an opportunity of a lifetime. The issue is - my startup costs are high and my funds are low. I require expensive machinery to create my product, however I do have written commitments from 3 of the 4 largest producers in the industry to purchase significant monthly volumes of my product for the next 2 years. This would easily be enough to create a revenue stream within 3 months of operation (3 months for set-up and R&D) - that would lead to breaking even within 12 months.

If I were to try to raise the amount that it would cost me to set-up my factory + machinery, + 6 months of run time, I'm looking at about $2 million. What's the hive mind perspective on how I should structure generating this $2 million? Should I be looking for investors, bank loans, and how much equity should I give up? Would love to hear thoughts or feedback on this opportunity.

Alex