WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Is reaching out to former designer at a major company a good idea? And Prototype & Sample question.

TheTryTheTry subscriber Posts: 2 Member
I'm in the process of starting my business for an original sports apparel product(s). I had a tech pack created a month ago, and I'm looking at creating a prototype and samples right now. 

I have the contact information of a designer that previously worked for a major company and want to reach out to them for advice and possible help. I have an NDA  ready for them to sign, I still worry about disclosing my information to someone who was so closely connected to a major company, but nonetheless I think the knowledge I would gain would be invaluable. Should I reach out to this individual?

Also, I've found a manufacturing plant that handles prototypes and samples that's less then two hours away. I understand that samples are free or there's a small nominal fee involved. However, it seem's like prototypes and samples are in a vaguely similar boat. How would one differentiate between a sample and a prototype especially if  both are designed from tech pack examples? Do you need a physical prototype in order to have a sample made?