WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Starting out...

BryanneBryanne subscriber Posts: 1
edited June 2008 in Marketing
I had started my photography company about 5 months ago and I still have some questions not about the photography part but about the business part, should i contact a business lawyer or i hate to say it a cheaper way to do this?Bryanne5/29/2008 8:00 PM

Comments

• Options
    sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I had started my photography company about 5 months ago and I still have some questions not about the photography part but about the business part, should i contact a business lawyer or i hate to say it a cheaper way to do this?

First off, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?
  • Options
    BryanneBryanne subscriber Posts: 1
    I am trying to accomplish a great business that will go very far. I want to learn more about how to keep books,how to promote/market better and get a feel for how to run a business.
  • Options
    GrillCharmerGrillCharmer subscriber Posts: 7
    Hi there Bryanne and welcome!  Craig is right.  That`s what I did.  I took a quick course in Quickbooks at my local community college and also used my local SBA, and SBDC

http://www.sba.gov/aboutsba/sbaprograms ... index.html

There are lots of resources for women as well.  If you get help through these organizations many times you can get a free 30 min consultation w/ various professionals such as trademark attorneys, accountants etc...Very best of luck!  Keep us posted!
  • Options
    sddreamweaverssddreamweavers subscriber Posts: 5 Member
    I am trying to accomplish a great business that will go very far. I want to learn more about how to keep books,how to promote/market better and get a feel for how to run a business.

Start with the SCORE office in Houston:
    http://www.scorehouston.org/
    I can`t speak for how the Houston SCORE office does things but the one in San Diego is simply amazing.  They even have the option for entrepreneurs to talk with people who have made millions in business and guide them on the right path. 
  • Options
    rfreshrfresh subscriber Posts: 0
    You don`t need a lawyer for what you need help in. Read a book on the topics you would like to know more about or enroll is a class at your local college.

While I do use Quickbooks, I don`t like them - they nickel and dime you to death. I wish there was another choice for doing your books that was cost-effective and then I could dump QB in a flash.

I started with their 99.00 accounting package but then found out I couldn`t do my payroll. So I upgraded to their 299.00 pro package. Then I discovered the payroll in this package was not auto-table driven - I would have to manually add all the deductions myself or else pay another 99.00 for the table driven option. After I did that upgrade, I discovered I also had to pay 49.00 more for my California table-driven option as only Federal was included. How do you spell ripoff?

I am very unhappy with Quickbooks but I don`t know where I can get real payroll system and accounting for under 500.00.