WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Serving on non-profit boards and committees!

MrLiquidityMrLiquidity subscriber Posts: 2
edited September 2008 in Public Relations
I have found that offering my time to non-profits pays big dividends.  Not only do you get to meet some of the "Big Players" in your community, but you are also making a difference in your community. 
Here is a quick story:  I decided to serve on a committee for a local non profit that has decent visibility.  One of the fund raising events that I worked on was sponsored by one of our local TV stations.  Due to their involvement, I met several reporters and staff of the TV station.  Lo and behold, two months later, I was asked to do an interview as a "resident expert" on financial matters. 
I never anticipated my involvement in a charity resulting in a TV spot, but that`s what happened.  Do any of you have stories like this?  What are some things that gave you great exposure when you were least expecting it?