WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

New Business Questions

BJbizBJbiz subscriber Posts: 2
edited May 2006 in Business Planning
My business idea is to start a home-based, household and small-business inventory service.

How do I check if my business name is available?
Do I need a business license/permit right away?
Help!

Comments

• Options
    theswaynestertheswaynester subscriber Posts: 15 Bronze Level Member
    Hey BJBiz--One easy way to check on the name is to Google it, or Yahoo it. Search for the name and use a couple different spellings or alternate ways of presenting it (if it has multiple words).You can also check out the US Patent and Trademark office. http://www.uspto.gov</A>You can click on "Trademarks" and that will take you to a section with a "search" link.Not sure about the business license/permit. I`d say it would depend on the nature of your business.
    Matt
  • Options
    LogoMotivesLogoMotives subscriber Posts: 15
    You will most likely need to register you business in the state in which you reside.  Usually this is done through a state business or corporate division, or the Secretary of State`s office.  Here in Oregon it can all be done online - and they have a great Starting a Business web site where you can search for business names and much more.  The business license/permit issue also depends on your location.  Here in Portland our business license is actually a tax and if you are claiming business income you are required to have a business license and the amount due is based on your taxable income.The Small Business Administration or a local Small Business Development Center can be very helpful in answering your specific questions about  starting a new business in your area. Best of luck! - J.
  • Options
    davennydavenny subscriber Posts: 2
    You must register with your local city, state and
    federally.  You will probably want to get a separate EIN number for your
    new business venture.  An example of where to go to do this is in Washington
    state you can do everything online at http://www.secstate.wa.gov/

You can also do a test search to see if you future business name is already
    registered.  You can only do a test search, your state will do the final
    search when you register.

I would also recommend that you trademark your business name as soon as you
    register it.
  • Options
    infiniqueinfinique subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    You can check your business name easily at USPTO. However, you need to check whether your domain is available at Go Daddy.