WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Stay in College, or Drop-out?

Liam177Liam177 subscriber Posts: 2
edited September 2016 in Marketing
Hi,

I'm currently in my first year of college and find no value in it. I don't mind the social aspect of it, but the education aspect is not very useful. I feel like I'm wasting my time and money. I've started small companies and initiatives in the past and am very entrepreneurial. I want to take a leave of absence next semester to join a great startup. Here I would learn a lot, get connected with great people, and be more exposed to ideas.

I'd love to hear people's thoughts on my situation. Thanks!

-Liam

Comments

• edwardmasonedwardmason subscriber Posts: 0 Member
    Hello Liam! May I ask what degree are you taking up? Well, a lot of successful businessmen dropped out of college BUT I am not that quite convince that its a good idea for you to do the same thing. Yes, it is all about skills in handling business into higher grounds but it would be senseless if you knew nothing or a little about the INs & OUTs in the industry. Why not become a student and a business man at the same time? Its still different to be a degree holder.
  • CastingDirectorCastingDirector subscriber Posts: 1
    Hi There -

My name is Stephanie and I'm a Casting Director in NYC. I'm currently casting for a new development project about future entrepreneurs who are planning to drop out of school to pursue their million dollar business idea.

We’re specifically looking looking for current college students who are thinking about dropping out, or not returning after the summer break, and finally pursuing their own career path. Whether it’s your own record label, your own clothing line, a restaurant, or a new invention that will change the world, we want to hear your story!

I wondered if you might be right for the project, or if you could refer anyone. I’d be happy to tell you some more in detail about the project if you’re interested.
  • Charlie PCharlie P subscriber Posts: 84 Silver Level Member
    Liam,

Without knowing more details I agree with a lot of what Edwards says. One of the main things you need to consider is how much you truly want to be in the startup that you are speaking about. Are you wanting to be in it as an "out" from school? It's okay to say that you don't like school (I left high school because it was cutting into my hustle time, but now I wish I would have at least gotten that diploma instead of just having a GED that I picked up years later). If you don't like school, then you have to ask yourself "Why do I not like school?" Is it the work load? Is it the major that you selected? Is the school not a good school for your selected major? Am I suffocating sitting in a classroom knowing that I could be out there hustling something and I just want to scream at the teacher who is trying to teach me sales techniques "You have never sold a thing in your life!!!!!!"? (Sorry, when watching some videos of recorded classes I have actually yelled that at the screen.)

Hope you think it all through and do what your heart tells you to do.
  • Jeff MarlonJeff Marlon subscriber Posts: 71 Bronze Level Member
    Yes, you can go for leaves from your college in my opinion as you are more business oriented. Learning is the best way ever either from any source but do try to manage your studies side by side. Your studies can flourish your career.