WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Converting HTML to pdf format?

storybookstudiostorybookstudio subscriber Posts: 7
Does anyone know of a quick/cheap way to convert HTML docs to pdf`s? I am currently bringing screenshots into Illustrator, editing and exporting to pdf. This time-consuming and I`m not crazy about the results.
Also, how can I create a PDF doc that creates additional oages for longer documents. I`m using an old version of Illustrator (8.0) and to my knowledge, it won`t allow you to do this.
I`m trying to provide printable instructions - maybe there is even a better way to do this?
I would appreciate any suggestions!

Comments

• Options
    ToddFToddF subscriber Posts: 3
    yep see if you can print to a pdf. Just like you were going to print the document I think it`s adobe 995 or something like that.
    http://www.adobe.com/products/pdfprintengine/</A>
    try this:
    http://www.pdf995.com/</A>
    97&rssToddF2007-8-24 14:38:43
  • Options
    olegoleg subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    You need a piece of software called a "PostScript printer driver".  When you install it on your computer, you can print any file directly to a PDF, the same way you would print to an actual paper printer.
    PDF995 that Todd mentioned above is a good one!
  • Options
    Thank you both soooo much!! I downloaded pdf995 and it worked great! This will save me so much time, it`s ridiculous.
    I`m off to replace my very lame (and large) pdf file with the new one now!
    Thanks again. It`s so great to have a place to come for help when you need it. Even these little things seem like huge problems when you`re clueless .

• Options
    ChristinaChristina subscriber Posts: 6
    Good link, Todd - I`ll definitely check that out. I usually use PDF online to convert a lot of stuff.www.pdfonline.comJust posting another option.
  • Options
    Thanks Christina - good to know!
    BTW, I read your post about the being a `big sister`! I didn`t have a recipe  but I wanted to let you know how admirable I think that is. Please let us know how it goes with your `little sis`!!

• Options
    ChristinaChristina subscriber Posts: 6
    Thanks Melissa! I haven`t yet met her. I actually haven`t heard from them since they first called to tell me they had a potential match for me. So I`m kind of ready to get on the move, and might call this week to prod them a bit Thanks Christina - good to know!
    BTW, I read your post about the being a `big sister`! I didn`t have a recipe  but I wanted to let you know how admirable I think that is. Please let us know how it goes with your `little sis`!!

• Options
    SparkleGirlSparkleGirl subscriber Posts: 2
    Great pdf resources - thanks so much!
    -roshelle

• Options
    InnerMonkeyInnerMonkey subscriber Posts: 0
    I prefer Cute PDF over PDF995.  It works just as well without the annoying ads suggesting you upgrade to a paid version everytime you use it.http://www.cutepdf.com/Products/CutePDF/writer.asp
  • Options
    Thank you all for the great suggestions! I knew I could count on my fellow SUNers to help me out in a jam.
    Dan- I will check OpenOffice out - sounds interesting! Of course, anything FREE is very interesting to me ;0)
    InnerMonkey - Thanks! If I get sick of the ads, I`ll definately switch over. And who wouldn`t want a Cute PDF?! Gosh, now that I think of it, I`d probably buy alot more `Cute` things...what else do they have?! I`m a sucker for anything mini too...might be a girl thing
  • Options
    florinflorin subscriber Posts: 0
    If you want something windows based I think you can take the HTML to PDF converter library for .NET from http://www.winnovative-software.com</A>. You can be build your own application or you can use the demo one. 
    All the conversion can be done in a few lines for C# code:
           // Create the PDF converter. Optionally you can specify the virtual browser         // width as parameter. 1024 pixels is default, 0 means autodetect        PdfConverter pdfConverter = new PdfConverter();        // set the license key        pdfConverter.LicenseKey = "P38cBx6AWW7b9c81TjEGxnrazP+J7rOjs+9omJ3TUycauK+cLWdrITM5T59 hdW5r";        // set the converter options        pdfConverter.PdfDocumentOptions.PdfPageSize = PdfPageSize.A4;        pdfConverter.PdfDocumentOptions.PdfCompressionLevel = PdfCompressionLevel.Normal;        pdfConverter.PdfDocumentOptions.PdfPageOrientation = PDFPageOrientation.Portrait;        pdfConverter.PdfDocumentOptions.ShowHeader = false;        pdfConverter.PdfDocumentOptions.ShowFooter = false;        // set to generate selectable pdf or a pdf with embedded image        pdfConverter.PdfDocumentOptions.GenerateSelectablePdf = selectablePDF;
            // Performs the conversion and get the pdf document bytes that you can further         // save to a file or send as a browser response        byte[] pdfBytes = pdfConverter.GetPdfFromUrlBytes(urlToConvert);

• Options
    avincoavinco subscriber Posts: 0
    It`s so abundant to accept a abode to appear for advice if you charge
    it. Even these little things assume like huge problems if you`re
    clueless .