WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Top Logistics Tips for E-Commerce Startups

Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
edited February 2017 in Logistics Management
Hello, community:

Below I have linked an interesting article from 2015 regarding logistics tips for e-commerce startups. My question is, are there variations between logistics practices from e-commerce sites versus brick-and-mortar stores? Or is it a similar process. How do they differ, how are they the same? Please, let me know!

https://goo.gl/lJQ8nH
Ryan O'Bleness
Community Manager
StartupNation, LLC

Comments

• Options
    emeliaingramemeliaingram subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Interesting article, logistics is very broad and has a wide variation. Of course tips are important so that when you diverge yourself to the logistics industry it will help you cope up with the trends and good processes in order for your e-commerce to be successful. For the question, yes there are many variations with regards to logistics practices.

BRI International
    http://www.brint.com.au/

• Options
    Thank you for your thoughts, @emeliaingram. I'm sure each business must do some trial and error testing before settling on one logistics strategy. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    emeliaingramemeliaingram subscriber Posts: 13 Bronze Level Member
    Thank you Ryan for the comment and i very much agree with you with regards on my sentiments. :)
  • Options
    Adam JonesAdam Jones subscriber Posts: 124 Silver Level Member
    The Internet is going to be the marketplace for your future purchases, or at least a large portion of it. Online retail in India is forecast to grow hundred-fold.
    Though online retail is growing, Indian entrepreneurs in the space don't have it easy. Many e-commerce companies are facing challenges in attracting investors to expand their infrastructure to serve a bigger customer base and more cities.

Such intermediaries can help you start selling products (or services) while focusing on your core product.

1. STORE PLATFORMS
    2. ONLINE MARKETS
    3. DIGITAL STORES
    4. LOGISTICS
    Another important service that an online entrepreneur needs is a payment gateway.
  • Options
    charucharu subscriber Posts: 27 Bronze Level Member
    This article is very helpful to understand the role of logistics in e commerce. Thanks for sharing. Logistics operations is quite a task in the beginning. As a start up, it is mandatory to understand where your target market lies. The more the spread out of the customers, the harder it is to handle logistics.Logistics is a big challenge for startups as most logistics companies charge very high rates due to lesser volumes initially. If you have funds you can engage with them.
  • Options
    I am glad you enjoyed the article, @charu! This is a new topic in our forum without many posts at the moment. Please feel free to start a new post and provide more of your expertise if you can. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Options
    learnersguidelearnersguide subscriber Posts: 25 Bronze Level Member

Very interesting article, I have worked in a logistics company before and I can totally understand how it works.