WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Sustainability in Business

Heather DinwoodieHeather Dinwoodie subscriber Posts: 3 Member

Hi there!

I was wondering if any sustainability-oriented entrepreneurs out there could tell me some of the challenges/successes they've had in leading a sustainable business?

Comments

• Tuah BaoTuah Bao subscriber Posts: 176 Silver Level Member

Hi @Heather Dinwoodie

Revenue and Cost are always the fundamental ones. If you can keep your operational cost low enough, while also getting enough revenue to cover all your costs, that is already a "sustainable business" model.

The challenge is always how/where do you get your sales.

Tuah Bao
    100+ done for you courses to immediately start running your own profitable e-learning business
    https://www.courseserious.com/

• farukhcasy2farukhcasy2 subscriber Posts: 3 Member

Hey Everyone,

I'm completely new to reddit but basically I'm a recent graduate that studied business, sustainability, and entrepreneurship. I wanted to pick your brains about the health of sustainable business, dangers of green washing, and the connections between sustainable business and environmental nonprofits.

There's a theory that I heard in my nonprofit class a couple years ago that claimed it does more harm than good for the cause when companies take up a cause and partner with nonprofits. I won't post my opinion but what are your thoughts on that?

In regards to greenwashing, I think the light inside of that shady tactic is the fact that companies are recognizing that people value environmentally sound business. Although they might use a cause as a facade to cover up the reality of their operations, isn't at least encouraging that the consumer demand could/is leading the charge in this trend?

Lastly, what do you look for when you shop? It's the holidays, and people expect to get gifts, what criteria do you use to determine if a company is sustainable??

• KharayiKharayi subscriber Posts: 3 Member

"There's a theory that I heard in my nonprofit class a couple years ago that claimed it does more harm than good for the cause when companies take up a cause and partner with nonprofits. I won't post my opinion but what are your thoughts on that?"

Depends on the company's existing reputation. If the company is generally seen in a positive light, doing so might help the cause instead of hurt it