WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

How to Market to the Construction & Real Estate Market?

PermitRunnerPermitRunner subscriber Posts: 1 Member

Okay, guys and gals, I need some advice.

I worked for the county reviewing plans for several years. I started pursuing my civil engineering degree and after 15 years with the county ( 8 of which were code enforcement and plan reviews), I decided to quick my comfortable job and open my own business running permits, development orders and other types of development related projects. There is only one other bismess in our area that does it and they only do commercial permitting. I discussed this idea with a few contractors before I went out on my own and they highly encouraged it as it was much needed in our area. There are a few out of town runners that run for mobile home dealers (whew- and they charge almost double what I do). Right now, my clients are the few contractors who encouraged me, and a property owners who were referred to me by real estate agents. (Real estate agent are also calling me and telling people about me and say I have a great thing going. So many people dont want to deal with the hoops of permitting or lot splits or do not know the process.) I am currently paying the bills and doing okay. My delima is that I could be doing way better if I could get my name out there. The problem is many people do not know I exist! I'm not sure how to fix that problem. I started in January and then Covid 19 hit. Again, bills are paid and I have been blessed. I have an office in town, a website, (smpermits.com) and FB page. I also have an office in town next to a real estate agent and title closing company. I just do not know how to market myself. I cannot figure out the best way to market myself. My main clients would be construction companies/contractors, real estate agents (to pass through to their customers) businesses looking to get licensed, and property owners.

I do not believe direct mail marketing to blanket zip codes would be beneficial. Any ideas? I am afraid to go door-to-door to businesses that fit my market because I do not want to come off as just another solicitor, but I have no idea how to get the word out. I am open to any advice or suggestions.

Answers

• AustinKnowsMarketingAustinKnowsMarketing subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member

Hey PermitRunner! First I want to congratulate you on starting your own business. It's amazing that you have been able to stay healthy during covid so we are grateful for that. You are correct to think direct mail would not be beneficial. Direct mail can still work but for what it's worth it almost a thing of the past (however, I won't go down that rabbit hole to spare you from reading a novel.) To give you the absolute best strategy I need to know just a bit more, but I can give you some general ideas that will help answer your question based on what information you have provided me I would put a lot of my focus on Facebook, LinkedIn and Nextdoor. Depending on your marketing budget you can experiment with other platforms (Sponsored SM ads, google ads , etc.) but I would spend my efforts on LinkedIn, Facebook, and Nextdoor.

Hope this helps! If you have any more question feel free to ask I would be happy to help.