WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Looking for input on business structure.

JDJD subscriber Posts: 1 Member

First of all, thanks to all who read.

I'm faced with a situation that I've never had to deal with being a contract services business in Internet marketing.

I have a startup real estate franchise brokerage here in Florida that I'd really like to work with, but they can't afford my services at the moment. But, I know how much potential this franchise brokerage has. It could easily do millions a year. I typically bill out around 7500 a month for Internet marketing consultation, and handle all aspects of it. Media buying. Content creation. Advertising. Everything.

I know that I can blow this business up, and the owner wants to do an equity deal on net profits monthly. I am happy to put in the effort to get a bigger piece of the monthly profits as payment.

I don't know how to structure an agreement like this, since I always work on contract with monthly retainers.

Is anyone willing to give some input. In return, I'm happy to answer at any time, things about skill sets that I've acquired over the last 30 years.

Thanks in advance.

JD

Comments

• John G. AnaiJohn G. Anai subscriber Posts: 83 Silver Level Member

Both entrepreneurs share ownership and have shared input and participation in the company. Now you no longer have a sole proprietorship you have a partnership. Still a fairly simple business structure, a partnership involves two or more individuals sharing ownership of their new business.

Tips for Structuring Your New Business

1. Set up an operating entity rather than being a sole proprietor
    2. Establish a trust to hold your operating entity
    3. Separate your intellectual property from your business
    4. Establish a solo 401(k) for your business.
    5. Name your business with funding in mind

• Lewis-HLewis-H subscriber Posts: 27 Bronze Level Member

There are four main types of business structures in the U.S: sole proprietorship, partnership, limited liability and corporation. Each structure has different tax, income and liability implications for businesses owners and their companies.