WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Should I start a side hustle while starting up a business?

CgeoCgeo subscriber Posts: 6 Member
edited October 2018 in Side Hustles
In my case my working full time and and the side starting up my clothing business. As my clothing business is more long term, I'm still thinking of finding a side hustle in the meantime. What's everyone's thoughts? Am I crazy?

Comments

• NOBOSSNOBOSS subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    Never crazy.  I get what you're saying.  Making and saving the money from the side hustle to put in your clothing business is a good idea.  Hopefully, when you're up and running you won't owe anyone and have 100% ownership as well. Go get 'em !!!
    Lysa @ NOBOSS
  • CgeoCgeo subscriber Posts: 6 Member
  • BruceJonesBruceJones subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member

For me when starting up a new business I'm obsessed, I would have to time to think of anything else.

• tamiejonestamiejones subscriber Posts: 6 Member

If you have the time and the drive, go for it!

• Lee HLee H subscriber Posts: 5 Member

Absolutely! I was introduced to a side hustle that leads into full time business. Me and my wife still work full time while building our business as a side hustle. Contact me for me info if interested. 👍️

Lee H

• pbotteropbottero subscriber Posts: 1 Member

A full time job + a business startup + a side hustle? This will most likely lead to not succeeding in any of the 3. Starting a business while employed full time is already a challenge and your time is your most precious and most scarce resource.

Instead, I recommend getting a loan for the clothing business (drop the side-gig idea) and spend as much time as you can growing it so that you can focus 100% on it.

Yes, a loan is scary. But when it comes to creating a business with that money (as opposed to buying consumer goods) look at the interests paid as "renting" money. Just like you would rent a physical space for a business/office/retail location in order to grow a business. Or if you use some software application and paid monthly licensing fees to grow that business.

So, no. I don't think it is a good idea to do all three at once.

Good luck!

PB

• TheDutchmanTheDutchman subscriber Posts: 1 Member

As a former Corporate Manager, I am NEW to making money online (side-hustles) - recently joined this forum to learn more from others - there is one bit of advice - don't give up on your dreams and keep looking for your path (as I am) - there seems to be many opportunities online, but many hyped, deadend side-hustles (many that just don't pay very well) - good luck on your journey - will be asking advice from others myself - TheDutchman

• Jessie HookieJessie Hookie subscriber Posts: 351 Silver Level Member

If you have enough time, i think you can.

Thank you!

• AirAir subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member

I think it's definitely a good idea to have a side-hustle going. Especially if it's not too time-consuming, and creates a more passive income, like selling stuff online.

• Sydney blackSydney black subscriber Posts: 12 Bronze Level Member

Not at all crazy brother. It is a pretty good idea if you have a plan and time to do all that needs to be done. Time is really important, if you can manage then definitely go for it. Wish you the best of luck.