WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

I´m 19 with no job and I really want to be an entrepreneur

siilverpsiilverp subscriber Posts: 1 Member

Hello.

Last year I finished secondary school. I´ve started to study computer engineering, but I left it. (I live in Argentina, so college is free here. Also I apologize if my English isn´t perfect).

During this last year, I´ve been searching ways to start my own business. If possible online, and that don´t require much investment.

I found a lot of ways: digital marketing agency, creating a website, ecommerce, dropshipping, flipping domains, dropshipping, social media, affiliate marketing, YouTube channel, freelancing, learn to code, etc etc etc. I just want something that works.

The truth is that I am very confused. I don't know where to start. I´m only know that I hate 9 to 5 and I REALLY COULDN'T have an "office job" or something like that. Even worse, I don't find any college career that I like. (And I saw almost all of them).

I want to start, but I don't know from where or how.

I would really appreciate if you can give me some ideas or advice, I really need it. My family won't keep me much longer like this.

Thank you.

PD: I know that being an entrepreneur is way harder than working or college. But I would work all day if I had a good project

Comments

• Imran SayyadImran Sayyad subscriber Posts: 12 Bronze Level Member

Go for an internship with some nearby business related to your field.

Trust me it really helps to build confidence and entrepreneurship skills. 😊

• XenogenesisXenogenesis subscriber Posts: 12 Bronze Level Member

If you want to be an entrepreneur, you shouldn't just talk and think about it, you must act. I suppose you're scared to fail, that's normal for the beginning, but listen to what I'm telling you - every entrepreneur has failed, none of them had a successful path. It's thanks to failing that you'll take great decisions in the future.

• Jordan SteggerdaJordan Steggerda subscriber Posts: 2 Member

I struggled with that for a long time before I was able to come up with my first business idea. Here is how I generate my ideas now.

Step 1: Break down your passions/interests. I'll share an example with each step so hopefully you are able to get a better idea of what I am saying. I enjoy learning, reading, sharing what I learn with other people, architecture, learning to speak Spanish better, and helping people. You might have less passions than I have or a lot more than I have but all that really matters is that you are really passionate about everything you write down. If you write it down and it doesn't make you instantly excited or give you a desire to do it then it's best that you cross it off.

Step 2: Break up those individual passions into something that could generate money. For architecture I put down 3D renderings, floor plan design, and teaching people about architecture. It doesn't matter if you are able to act on the ideas yet just write them down for now.

Step 3: Now comes the part where you get to choose your final idea. Look at all the ways you wrote that you could make money in step two and highlight all of the ideas that you could do with little to no extra learning or experience in that field. For me I was only able to highlight 3D renderings because I am not able to do the other two ideas without first getting a college degree(Technically I don't need a college degree but for people to trust me and pay me for my service/product I would need to spend at least 3 more years studying and practicing architecture). For me creating 3D renderings is something I love doing and am already good enough to do professionally. It is okay if you need a little bit more learning or practicing in a subject just don't choose something that you won't be able to start doing in more than a month.

Step 4: Start! One of my favorite quotes, "The reason I am a success and why many other entrepreneurs are a success is simply because we do it. We don't just talk about it; we do it." -John Saddington.

I have attached below a picture of an example chart that could hopefully give you an idea of how to display your ideas(sorry about the quality)

I hope you were able to understand all that I wrote. I wish you the best of luck in finding a business idea and becoming self employed!

• TravelSchoolTravelSchool subscriber Posts: 11 Bronze Level Member

I believe that Internet marketing is a powerful profession – one that enables people to take control of their reality and of their finances.

Internet Marketing levels the scales for small to medium businesses and give them a chance to compete with the big rich. It focuses more on key aspects like value for money, customer satisfaction rather than just a big brand name with a colossal marketing budget!

Still, internet marketing has a deplorable terrible reputation.It is something that your family and friends would not advise you to ‘trifle’ or ‘gamble’ with. If you tell people that you are an internet marketer, they begin to form preconceptions about you – regarding you as manipulative, pushy and non-trustworthy.

There is just one reason for this – most people have neither the aptitude nor the diligence that is required to succeed at marketing. They are looking for quick fixes. They do anything to escape working hard. They do not want to learn new skills. They do not possess the gravitas to commit to an idea. They have the attention of making a sale, instead being valuable. They are in a wretched state of mind. I could literally go on forever!

I attached a pdf guide book that will help you choose a direction and how you can use your hobby and skills to generate income online.

I hope you find value. Let me know if you have any questions.

~ Emilian