WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Build e-commerce by yourself or hire agency?

DreamifyDreamify subscriber Posts: 2 Member
Building an online store by yourself is pretty easy these days, considering the buffet of site builders that are available online. But what I've found is that doing-it-yourself can for many people lead to ignoring factors that are absolutely crucial for your success, such as SEO, UX-design, professional copywriting and customized product images. You can always learn these skills by yourself, but it is quite time-consuming, and procrastinating on your e-commerce dream can sometimes lead to competitors getting there first.

What are your thoughts on this topic? And in which situation would you recommend DIY?

If you happen to have serious plans to launch your own e-commerce business, feel free to check out our e-commerce page at dreamify.net.

Comments

• Turner BellTurner Bell subscriber Posts: 14 Bronze Level Member

My views here would be to use Magento, WooCommerce, Shopify or Prestashop to build an e-commerce store online. This method is very easy for DIY or for customized e-commerce solutions you should choose a development companies or freelancer developers.

• HeavenGHeavenG subscriber Posts: 27 Bronze Level Member

It all depends on your requirements and of course, on your budget.

As for me, it is better to use an ecommerce platform, like Magento, etc. But it needs a lot of money and it is time-consumed. Moreover, you cannot do all this by yourself, but I am pretty sure that this ecommerce business will be successful and can stay competitive for a long time!

• Sanjay HowaleSanjay Howale subscriber Posts: 2 Member

if you technically good and have bit of coding knowledge go to woocommerce.

If you don't have technical skills and don't want to spend more money by hiring a developer, choose shopify

• JackyNiksJackyNiks subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    edited September 2019

Hello. I understand your concerns about hiring a professional team or doing everything by yourself.

It's true that a lot of business owners creating the website ignore some crucial thing. The problem is that it's so hard to handle every point of e-commerce business by yourself. Plus, some aspects require particular knowledge: SEO, design, marketing, content writing knowledge. That's why we advise rely all your development and design issues on professional development team.

Speaking of the platform choice, there are a lot of varieties, but I recommend look at WooCommerce/Shopify/ or Magento. Their choice depends on your requirements.

• sandrasamsnsandrasamsn subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2020

Hi!  I think It’s always better to opt for professional service providers with domain knowledge that will ensure successful implementation of ideas in the design and development process. I think it's better to hire Magento developer or a team who will fully concentrate on your website.  Think a full-time employee, only without overhead costs and administrative hassle.

• SmithJohnesSmithJohnes subscriber Posts: 48 Bronze Level Member

I have been on both sides of the table. Though you can build your site entirely on your own using platforms like shopify or bigcommerce etc... but if you are expecting a lot of traffic and tons of sales then you should seek help of the experts. There is no way you would be able to learn it or do it on your own in short span of time and anyhow as a business person your time should be more dedicated on business development aspect. There are lot of technicalities involved in just setting up a high volume store online.