WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

A little help on my Website: ThinkUpYourBusiness.com -What do you think?

John GolitzJohn Golitz subscriber Posts: 8 Member

I am just finishing up my website and blog on offering coaching, consulting and online courses to help entrepreneurs start a business. I have a very comprehensive blog on the 27 critical steps to start a business that is just about done.

I would seriously like any comments on how I can make it better and on the things that budding entrepreneurs want help on. I have started many businesses and have helped hundreds start their own but was making the classic mistake of assuming I knew what my clients would want! So I thought I should do some market research and here I am...exposing myself to ridicule and criticism... the comments on other posts were very constructive, so I thought I would give it a go... I appreciate your help

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin

Hi, John:

What is the URL to your website? You won't be able to post links until you reach 10 posts, but if you post it in plain text I can paste in the clickable link.

Thanks,

Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • John GolitzJohn Golitz subscriber Posts: 8 Member
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited August 2019

Here is the clickable link:

https://thinkupyourbusiness.com/

Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • graphicscovegraphicscove subscriber Posts: 7 Member

Hello John,

My background is in design/development so I'll leave you a couple of points about where I think you can improve your site to get your message across more efficiently.

- The phone number in the header should be clickable to increase conversions.

- There is a lot going on in the first section. There are 3 CTAs, 2 to get started and 1 to learn more. Ideally you only want 2 there. Get started should be your primary call to action, and learn more should be secondary. The buttons also have a horrible jump on hover. Making the page move unexpectedly can throw users off and disorient them. What's stranger is that only two of the 3 buttons do it, there needs to be a little more consistency.

- Again in the first section the red on the blue background has a very low contrast and could be an issue for users with visual impairments.

- Why does the logo only appear in the header after you scroll? It also looks cut off

- Interesting concept to make the email a different colour on scroll, however this also has contrast issues.

- Testimonial picture looks blurry. Setting a smaller container width here would be good, especially where clients might provide unsuitable images for a testimonial shot.

- In the contact section at the bottom of the site, the phone number and email address aren't linked.

- Consider using inline validation on your form rather than grouping all the form errors at the top. You might also want to indicate which fields are required before a user starts filling them in.

- Not all your social links are hooked up (you might know that already!), again the contrast here isn't really good and being right at the bottom with no padding makes them get lost in everything else. Google+ is no longer an active service. Also when you hover, the blue is so close to the background colour it goes invisible!

- Does your newsletter require the user to input their first and last name or can they do this at a later date? Just having the email input field will potentially increase conversions. Less fields means less resistance for the user. The number of fields is also cutting off a bit of the placeholder text and the button text is on two lines which looks all over the place visually.

So the top 3 things you should focus on would be:

- Simplify the introduction section by showing one primary and one secondary call to action.

- Tweak the colours for visually impaired people (which will also make them more prominent to regular users).

- See if it's possible to reduce the number of fields for your newsletter to increase subscribe rate.

Hopefully you will find the above useful. I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

- Steven

• John GolitzJohn Golitz subscriber Posts: 8 Member