WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co
Options

Startup getting started

shponshpon subscriber Posts: 1 Member

I have a business idea but unsure how to get started. The idea is running a website and an app. I am no developer but i am sure i will need a web developer, iOS app developer and android app developer. There will no office at the start and I am planning to get cloud server and after hiring developers, i have queries: 1. Since the developers will working from home, how can i monitor their daily work? 2. What sort of application/software or infrastructure will they need to start working? 3. How much approx cost will be needed for all these work? 4. How do i ensure developers are genuinely working and making progress?

I understand these are very basic questions but i would appreciate any response or suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited July 2019

Hi, @shpon,

I don't really have the knowledge to answer questions two and three, but I can try to answer questions one and four.

Question 1: You can look into productivity/time management software, such as TimeFox. A couple of my old employers used this, and I am sure it's changed a bit since I have used it, but your employees will be able to enter the tasks they are working on and start a clock, which tracks how much time they are spending on each project and how much total time they've spent working throughout the day. They can stop the clock when they are taking breaks or moving on to a new task.

Question 4: You'll need to request things like mockups, demos, videos, etc. of what they are working on as a preview of the final product. Dev teams often work in "sprints" and will have tasks set through a certain time period until the final product is ready. You just consider making a Jira account (or some other project management tool) where you can drop in requests for what exactly you want done and when. That way both you and the developers can be on the same page about progress.

Hope this helps.

Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC