WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Simple (and free) Steps To Good Search Engine Rankings

privateinvestor1privateinvestor1 subscriber Posts: 7
For good search engine rankings, you need to make sure that the meta tags on your website are optimized - particularly based upon your content.
I do not want to step on any toes here, but you really do not have to spend much (none really) money on SEO products or services to make sure your site is ranked well (meaning within 1 to 3 pages - people mostly do not look past the third page of search results)
The following simple things work well. With a new site or a site that has been previously poorly formatted, it realistically can take a week or two before you see significant results.
1. Make sure you HAVE a full set of properly formatted metatags
Go here to for a easy-to-use metatag creator:
http://www.anybrowser.com/MetaTagGenerator.html</A>
2. Make sure you OPTIMIZE your meta tags.
This site will help you analyze and adjust your meta tags to be optimized with your web page content:
http://www.submitexpress.com/analyzer/</A>
3. Once you have optimized your meta tags, then you need to get your site submitted to the search engines.
Here is a site that will enable you to submit to lots of search engines for free.
http://www.freewebsubmission.com/</A>
4. Make an RSS feed from your site and submit it to an RSS submission site.
I won`t go into details here, but do a little research on Google on how to create an RSS feed from your site. It`s not hard.
Here`s a good resource:
http://www.create-rss.com/</A>
5. Create a blog on Blogger or another site that contains content from and links to your website.
This should be self-explanatory.
Remember, the more outside links you have to your website, and the more relevant the content, the better the search engines like it - thus the higher your rankings.
You don`t need expensive SEO software or services to do these simple things.
Remember though, content is king. Make sure you have good, relevant content on your site and update it periodically. Having a auto-updated & content-relevant RSS newsfeed on your main page can go a long way towards giving you consistently new content without having to spend time doing a lot of manual updates yourself.
Here`s another good RSS resource
http://www.rssfeeds4u.com/</A>
Good luck!
UPDATE
Based on the comments that follow - this post is not meant to imply that the techniques will automatically zoom you to the top of the SE rankings. However, I and others have used them with success. Be aware that there are other factors that will affect your rankings, including changes in the algorithms that the SEs use.
Let`s not get caught up in expressing our egos about what can, will and should work. Again, these techniques are basic, but they DO have effect.
I also maintain that you need to be very wary of ANY so-called SEO experts touting expensive services and products. Very few of them are worth the money. If they are so useful, then EVERY site that used them would have high rankings. Common sense should tell you that it is impossible for everyone to have a top-10 ranking. Just beware of the hype.
Another FREE SEO resorce I recommend is WebCEO. You can get a FREE copy here:
www.GettingYourMoney.com/gymwebceo</A>
IT IS possible to get a decent ranking and get listed on Yahoo and google with the techniques I outlined. FOR FREE.
A quote by Henry Ford comes to mind:
"Whether you think you can, or think you can`t - you`re right."
Don`t let anyone on this board discourage you. Expressing cynicism and doubt on a web board requires no effort; just some free time and a computer with internet access. Be willing to learn, investigate and grow. Remember Henry Ford`s quote and don`t ever let others discourage you based solely on their experiences. Stay positive and think for yourself. 
www.GettingYourMoney.com</A>
"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident." - Schopenhauer
NEW UPDATE AS OF 12/22/06 HERE:

UPDATE - Simple (and free) Steps To Good Search Engine Rankings

private equity, venture capital, start up company, angel investor, real estate, investing, money, hard money, financing, business plan, ppm, securities offering, regulation d, 506, 504, scor, letter of intent, loi, executive summary, management team, presentation, subscription agreement, note, commercial, seo, optimize, optimization, web, website, search engine, rank, ranking, software, html, key word, key words, meta tags, title, valuation, residential, mortgage, hard money, loan, sba, grant, corporation, structure, LLC, corp, privateinvestor12006-12-22 20:55:5

Comments

• ChuckChuck subscriber Posts: 6
    To be perfectly frank, Craig is being too nice - this post spouts a number of tattered tips that hardly scratch the surface of the SEO topic.  Meta description tags have some value, in that they can be used as the supporting text in your search engine results listing; meta keywords do not have enough value to merit spending any time on them, and in fact can be a detriment to your site if they`re added and not maintained, as the likely duplication and overuse might actually end up hurting your site.Beyond that, an RSS feed, in and of itself, is not a primary component in SEO.  If you`re talking about creating an XML sitemap and submitting it to Google, Yahoo and MSN, that`s a different story, but it`s also a topic that this post doesn`t address.And lastly, simply creating a blog that points links to your site is a simplistic recommendation - if that new site has no more presence than the site you`re promoting, those links will be worthless.Adding to the credibility gap here is the fact that the original poster dumped a set of keywords at the end of his post?!?  That`s a textbook spam technique, and not one that will be effective either - ah the irony.
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    I thought these tips were more of a "first level understanding" of SEO. We have really done a great job covering this topic in several posts here at SuN. I have found it`s not quite as easy as following a few guidelines.I find SEO to be a lot like dealing with the INS... which is now called USCIS. I have to deal with them a lot because of my wife (3 year new, immigrant to the US). It`s like any government structure. It all seems logical and straight forward with dealing with USCIS and SEO. But in reality, there are road blocks, barriers, and misleading information everywhere.I still struggle to get my site SEO compliant as well as recognized. That job continues.
  • iouone2iouone2 subscriber Posts: 14
    Taylor, you are talking about Go Truck Stop. That`s a person who is spending time in Iraq at the moment. We all hope to see him one day soon too.
  • KathyGAInteriorsKathyGAInteriors subscriber Posts: 0
    I`m so confused.  I`ve read thru so many of the posts and just find things way too complicated.  For example, while I understand the value of meta tags/title/description, keywords, etc... I went to the submitexpress site mentioned in the original post, used the meta tag analyzer and.... it says it finds none.  Of course, my next call was to the company that is hosting my site and they confirmed that I do indeed have them.  I even went to file manager, viewed each individual page and find them there as well.  What`s even more confusing is that when I have my own site up; and "view" the source data, I have one line of text.  I feel like I`m losing my mind.   Okay, vent over, carry on. 
    Edited to correct a spelling error.

KathyGAInteriors2007-1-28 8:50:40
  • KathyGAInteriorsKathyGAInteriors subscriber Posts: 0
    First and foremost - I`m so fortunate to have found this site!  Thanks to all that post, all those that monitor, etc.... 
    Craig - You`re right on!  I`m a newbie at web development.  Truth be told, I had no right to believe that I could create my site on my own.  It`s been quite the challenge.  Unfortunately, funds prohibit me from taking it out to someone who does have the expertise.  I`m hoping that changes in the next couple of months.  Time will tell.  In the interim, I have a gracious person, from this forum, who has highlighted some of the challenges.  I`m hoping that I can fix those myself (I`ll find out soon).
    Oh, last but not least, while I have very long hair, it still hurts when I pull it out.
    Kathy

• HOWARDHOWARD subscriber Posts: 3
    There is a lot of great info on here. Thanks everyone!
  • anushkachhakrabartianushkachhakrabarti subscriber Posts: 219 Silver Level Member
    Organic search engine traffic comes from people online searching for businesses like yours — and if you aren’t ranking well organically, you’re going to miss out on all of the FREE leads that could be coming your way.
  • saravanansaravanan subscriber Posts: 389 Silver Level Member
    Use Rich Snippets And Schema Markup
    Ensure That Your URLs, Titles And Descriptions Are Relevant
  • Impala WardrobesImpala Wardrobes subscriber Posts: 4 Member
    1) Implement Title Tags and Meta Tags.
    2) Quality Content.
    3) Acquire Quality Links.
    4) Number of Back Links.
    5) Keyword Relevant Domain Name.
    6) Use HTML.
    7) Ease of Site Navigation.

• raviseo1raviseo1 subscriber Posts: 19 Bronze Level Member