WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Feedback on my website

speigespeige subscriber Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2018 in Website Critique
I'm building a website and was hoping to get some feedback. Please be brutally honest, I won't get my feelings hurt. 

The web address is
    MoviePix.app

It's a movie discovery website/app which uses statistics/AI to learn your personality and give you personalized recommendations. It can also combine your personality with those on your "friends" list to recommend something you both would like to watch.

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if I can do anything for you in return.

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited October 2018
    This is an interesting idea. One question I do have, though, is do you have permission to use the movie posters and trailers you are using? If not, that could land you in some hot water down the road. 

Second, is this a free app? Are you generating revenue strictly based on advertising? 

A couple other notes:
    1. I find the pop-ups a bit irritating. There are too many. 
    2. There are a few tiles without images. Is this due to slow load time, or you just have not uploaded images for them?
    3. I also think your "About" section is weak (needs more detail about the website/app), and I don't see a privacy policy anywhere. I am almost certain a site like yours is collecting cookies or data from its user. That needs to be clear. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • speigespeige subscriber Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks for your feedback!

Did you rate any movies to see if it gave you good recommendations?

I don't have explicit permission for the posters and trailers, however I believe movie studios make them specifically to be shared so they can increase their revenues from movie sales. I hadn't considered the possibility of getting into copyright trouble for using them. I'll research it a bit more.

I believe the tiles without images are because I don't have images. I'll try to correct that.

I see what you mean about the popups, about section, & privacy policy. I'll look into improving those.

Thanks!
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    I rated a couple, yes, but didn't get too far into it. I'll give it another try soon. I hope my suggestions were helpful. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • oliversarmyoliversarmy subscriber Posts: 39 Bronze Level Member
    Very nice! Reminds me of Netflix/Hulu etc, very popular interface design.