WE'VE MOVED!

We are proud to announce our NEW community destination. Engage with resident experts and fellow entrepreneurs, and learn everything you need to start your business. Check out the new home of StartupNation Community at startupnation.mn.co

Get work on Upwork? Worth it? Tips and Tricks?

simpletechITsimpletechIT subscriber Posts: 3 Member
Let me break the ice, is Upwork even worth it? I just joined. I am a Network Consultant and my company SimpleTech (simpletech.us), provides I.T Services. I joined with the intention of getting hourly work and trying converting them to monthly reoccurring customer. My profile is pretty solid and I have found some interesting gigs. However I noticed a couple things.

-You have to be rated 90% or better, which how can you be when your new?
-Alot of proposals. 10-50 per gig and even if the gig is $15.
-Jobs seem more like jobs and not gigs.

I want to put more time and energy into Upwork, but I'm not sure its worth it? Opinion?

Thanks

Comments

• Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited November 2017
    @simpletechIT, have you looked into alternative freelancing sites such as Fiverr, Toptal, Freelancer or Guru? 

Upwork has kind of taken over the space, but my advice would be to put your profile on these other sites, take a few gigs on each and then compare and contrast the websites to see which one is best for you. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • Debvie MedinaDebvie Medina subscriber Posts: 10 Member
    About Upwork: ​Upwork is the world’s largest freelance talent marketplace. As an increasingly connected
    and independent workforce goes online, knowledge work—like software before it— is shifting online as
    well. This shift is making it faster and easier for clients to connect and work with talent in near real­time and
    freeing professionals everywhere from working at a set time and place. Freelancers are earning more than
    $1 billion annually via Upwork.

Hoping it would work on you! God bless!
  • Tom AdamsTom Adams subscriber Posts: 70 Bronze Level Member
    @simpletechIT, have you looked into alternative freelancing sites such as Fiverr, Toptal, Freelancer or Guru? 

Upwork has kind of taken over the space, but my advice would be to put your profile on these other sites, take a few gigs on each and then compare and contrast the websites to see which one is best for you. 
    Hey Ryan,
    Which site from these 4 are better? 
  • Ryan O'BlenessRyan O'Bleness administrator Posts: 1,137 Site Admin
    edited February 2018
    The only ones I have personal experience with are Fiverr and Freelancer. We've had good results with both. Fiverr offers a magnitude of workers that will generally work for cheaper if you're looking to hire somebody. If you're looking to pick up work yourself, then Freelancer is also a good option. 
    Ryan O'Bleness
    Community Manager
    StartupNation, LLC
  • CarlbrewsterCarlbrewster subscriber Posts: 160 Silver Level Member
    try to reach the local client's more most of the time I avoid such portals, because they charge you high commision 
  • eSenseTranslationseSenseTranslations subscriber Posts: 3 Member
    From a client perspective, we use Upwork to source our freelancers, another good site is People Per Hour.
  • FrankLeeFrankLee subscriber Posts: 32 Bronze Level Member
    Here are some my own tips: When writing an Upwork pitch, keep it short and original. The proposal should be no more than 3–4 short paragraphs long and it shouldn’t be generic, copy/pasted pitch that everyone else is writing.

Since you don’t have a lot of time and you are essentially fighting for the client’s precious time with dozens of other freelancers, get to the point quickly. Why you are a good fit for the job? What skills can you offer that others can’t?

It also helps if you send the proposal soon after the job is posted. Although it’s not a defining factor, if you send your pitch within 24 hours of the job being posted, your chances of getting hired will increase greatly.

Also, don’t forget to send a sample of your work for the client to see. Try to make this as close to what the job is about as possible. Some clients will ask for a test, but most will be satisfied with the samples you send them in your cover.

Finally, make sure to be professional and polite and end with a call to action for the client to reach out to you.

• Mabel12Mabel12 subscriber Posts: 2 Member
    Great tips for beginners like me. Thank you!
  • RjMaanRjMaan subscriber Posts: 28 Bronze Level Member
    Thank you for such information. I am working on Seoclerks and in these days i have a good sales of my services.
  • computergirlcomputergirl subscriber Posts: 7 Member
    Upwork is a good platform company for freelancers I can say. It protects freelancers from clients as well as it has a terms and contract. They pay either hourly or fixed contract. One good tip to be hired by a client is make an impressive profile and proposal. Most of good clients don't require interviews, some of them will send the contract right away. Keep in mind that before accepting a job or offer from a client, check client's history and the payment method if it's verified or not.
  • arjun123arjun123 subscriber Posts: 114 Silver Level Member
    1. Spruce up your Profile. ...
    2. Take Relevant Upwork Tests. ...
    3. Build Your Freelancer Reputation (Upwork Job Success Score) ...
    4. Work on your Proposals. ...
    5. Find a Niche. ...
    6. Find the Right Project. ...
    7. Understand the Two Types of Upwork Jobs. ...
    8. Know your Worth.
  • denise hiltondenise hilton subscriber Posts: 19 Bronze Level Member
    Just be reading for too much competition. For IT related projects it can be quite hard to land a job because the average bids are usually around 50. If you're exceptional in your communication / work then you have a good chance.